Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Required files for Windows

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Perhaps you should have a break from it for a while and then start afresh, when you are ready go straight to the page @ http://www.pcpitstop...top/default.asp see the attachment below;

We will still be around so please do not over do it if you need a break.

Advertisements

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
You may be right. I have been at this for over 8 days now and I am tired. When you get my age you need more rest. I will so this soon. I so thank you for your help. You are so appreciated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
http://www1.pcpitsto...top/Summary.asp I am saving the page for I just wanted to try it one more time. Is this what you wanted?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Sorry no that is not the correct page.

Please read carefully the guidance in my reply #12 and refer to the attachment in my reply #16 to help you with running PCPitstop, also see the attachment below which shows what the information that we are after looks like;

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I have the right one now. http://www1.pcpitsto...&report=Summary
This is what you want right? Today is my 45 anniversary so I won't be on until later tonight. Hope this is what you want. I will be on until 8 am. Then off to church. I know what I did wrong and went back to fix it. Sorry about that.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
No worries and congratulations to you both on what is a very special day :happy:

Thank you for the attached url :thumbsup:

Couple of things that I have noted from the test results, 1: that XP SP3 was installed more than 12 months ago
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (20080414.031525) Microsoft Corporation 7/25/11, 2: that you only have 512MB of Ram fitted, 3: that you have McAfee AntiVirus Plus as an anti virus software (+ AVG toolbar).

1: Is not an issue at present but we will come back to this when other fixes have been done.
2: The small amount of Ram that you have is slowing down the computer due to the demands being placed on it by your installed software and especially McAfee which while very good it is very demanding on system resources, if it is not a paid for product I would uninstall it and install either Avast or MSE, both are equally as good, light on resources and free.
3: I have addressed in number 2 above but in addition to this I will make some suggested improvements once that the issues highlighted by PCPitstop have been addressed, see below;

Please return to the PCPitstop results and address the items that have a red X against them, if you hover the cursor over the item you will be given a description of the issue and if you click on it you will be instructed how to correct the problem, post back when you have done this and we can move on.

Once all of the above has been dealt with I will help you to tidy up the data on the HDD which will help improve performance and help updates to install more effectively.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Hello, All right I took off McAfee and put on Avast. Now I did return to the PCPitstop results and hovered the cursor over the item and it tells me to go to start up and remove these programs but I cannot find them on Start Up. I have copied and took the list there and they are not on there at all. As far as Java is concerned, I do use that all the time with my writing. Do I need to remove it?
Had a wonderful time with my family and now I am just going to sit here and work for awhile and see if I can get this machine working well again. It is older but that does not mean it is not good. I got a brand new Laptop for my anniversary from my husband. I love it but right now, I want to see what I can do on here.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello

Please remove what is recommended and then go to http://java.com/en/d...&os_version=6.2 and install the latest version of Java, in essence you are merely removing the older versions of Java.

I am pleased to hear that your special day went well :thumbsup:

We will now do our best to help you get the best performance from your computer.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
All right I shall remove Java. I want to tell you that when I removed McAfee, the message that kept coming up has no longer popped up. I am so thankful for that but I have no idea why it just quit. Thank you for helping with this.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the update, please let us know when you have completed the recommendations and we will move on.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I removed three Java from here. Question: Why can't I just disable all the start-up programs so they won't run when I get on here? I am unable to figure which ones on there are the ones that I am to remove for none of them have the same name. There is no HP Toolbox, HP software update, and etc. I have tried to see which one on start up is what I am looking for but there is no way I can tell. Am I missing something here?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Have you looked in Add/Remove programs.

No matter if you cannot remove them at this time as we can come back to them later when we tidy up the data on the HDD.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I have done what I was able to do. System Restore is Done..Changing Password. I plan on taking office off here so I will not need more memory will I? When I tried to use Free Optimize, Install Java came up. I got out of it. This computer is something that I want to keep running for I am so used to it and know where all my web sites are and have them all saved. It is important to me. So, I will do all I can to keep it going and will try to do all you tell me. Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Ok then are a couple of things for you to do now, please do not feel that you must do them all in one go, take your time and reply when you have the time;

First a cautionary note;

When I tried to use Free Optimize,

Please do not use this type of software as they can actually harm your computer and the software that has caused the damage will normally suggest that you purchase one of their products to repair the damage that they have done, when you have time please read the attached article written by a highly respected author regarding such programs http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

Now to the task at hand;

My first suggestion to tidy up the data on your HDD, please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.
Couple of other things to consider are what size HDD do you have and how much free storage space is available, you should always have between 12 and 15% of the overall capacity available, do not have more than 1 AV program running as it causes slowness as the programs fight for control of system resources, this can lead to instability and/or crashes.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box
then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your anti virus software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.