Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

search-results and searchnu both came with Ilivid [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello Tom,

Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner

Vista / Win7 users: Right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator.

Note: This scan works with Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.

If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.

• Click the green ESET Online Scanner box
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
    then click on: Start
  • You may see a panel towards the top of the screen telling you the website wants to install an addon... click and allow it to install. If your firewall asks whether you want to allow installation, say yes.
  • Make sure that the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Click on Start
  • The virus signature database will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically. The scan may take several hours.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed select Uninstall application on close, make sure you copy the logfile first!
  • Then click on: Finish
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
When you come back please post
  • ESET report
  • and tell me how your machine is now

Advertisements

tunruh

tunruh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, Teacher,

A busy day today, so I didn't get back to the computer til this evening.

Here's the ESET report.

ESETSmartInstaller@High as downloader log:
all ok
# version=7
# OnlineScannerApp.exe=1.0.0.1
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6583
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=12122304b8886a4c8be6883d44346b05
# end=finished
# remove_checked=true
# archives_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# unsafe_checked=true
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2012-11-03 04:15:18
# local_time=2012-11-03 10:15:18 (-0700, Mountain Daylight Time)
# country="United States"
# lang=1033
# osver=6.1.7601 NT Service Pack 1
# compatibility_mode=1024 16777215 100 0 18213711 18213711 0 0
# compatibility_mode=5893 16776574 100 94 18218612 103496590 0 0
# compatibility_mode=8192 67108863 100 0 0 0 0 0
# scanned=182171
# found=8
# cleaned=8
# scan_time=6178
C:\Program Files (x86)\Search Results Toolbar\Datamngr\datamngrUI.exe a variant of Win32/Toolbar.SearchSuite.A application (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C
C:\Program Files (x86)\Search Results Toolbar\Datamngr\DnsBHO.dll a variant of Win32/Toolbar.SearchSuite application (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C
C:\Users\Tom\Documents\Documents\Downloads\cdbxp_setup_4.4.0.2905.exe Win32/OpenCandy application (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C
C:\Users\Tom\Documents\Documents\Downloads\unconfirmed 83073.download multiple threats (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C
C:\Users\Tom2\Documents\Downloads\cdbxp_setup_4.4.0.2905.exe Win32/OpenCandy application (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C
C:\Users\Tom2\Documents\Downloads\unconfirmed 83073.download multiple threats (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C
C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\11012012_081510\C_Program Files (x86)\Search Results Toolbar\Datamngr\datamngr.dll a variant of Win32/Toolbar.SearchSuite application (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C
C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\11012012_081510\C_Program Files (x86)\Search Results Toolbar\Datamngr\IEBHO.dll a variant of Win32/Toolbar.SearchSuite application (cleaned by deleting - quarantined) 00000000000000000000000000000000 C

How is my computer doing? Well, IE, Chrome ,and Firefox are no longer being redirected to searchnu or search-results. That's good. The keyboard hesitation is still there. It's like there's some other datahog program program is using lots of resources, which I certainly didn't expect when upgrading to a new computer. Before I bought this laptop new this spring, we always had similar trouble with AVG bogging down our older laptop. I didn't think that was happening to this one, but that's what it seems. Maybe I should try a different antivirus. I tried Avast when I first set this one up, but it didn't run on this system at all, with regular crashes and blue screens, so I uninstalled it and went to AVG, which ran okay. If you have some advice for me about troubleshooting this, I'd be grateful. Do I need to start another thread in another forum? Which one would be appropriate?

So, bottom line, THANK YOU for your patience and your skill in sorting out the malware problem. It is an amazing service that you Gs2G provide.

Tom

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello again Tom,

I think your machine is clean.

The keyboard hesitation is still there. It's like there's some other datahog program program is using lots of resources, which I certainly didn't expect when upgrading to a new computer. Before I bought this laptop new this spring, we always had similar trouble with AVG bogging down our older laptop.

I don't know whether AVG is the problem but some say it is becoming a bit bloated and somewhat of a resource hog.

Here are three good free for personal use antivirus :Here are two good firewalls free for personal use:

Microsoft Security Essentials together with Windows Firewall (which comes with Windows) is probably a good choice for the run of the mill user. This because it is light on resources, it is unobtrusive (it works away in the background without interrupting) and you don't have to be an expert. Firewalls have a habit of flagging suspicious files and asking the user to decide whether to accept the file or not. Often the run of the mill user has no idea about what a particular file does and just says no to everything... down the track they wonder why programs they use regularly suddenly stop working or maybe they try and download something they frequently downloaded in the past but now find they can't.

Note: Do not use more than one anti-virus or firewall. Running two or more real-time anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall monitors at the same time can cause a conflict. That conflict can result in slow computer performance, error messages, crashes of the programs or other types of failure. You will very likely end up with little or no protection.

Do I need to start another thread in another forum? Which one would be appropriate?

Try out an alternative AV perhaps using one of the ones above. That may solve the problem for you. If you do want to open a new topic see the link below:

http://www.geekstogo...-and-windows-7/

Now to finish

Please run OTL.exe

• Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [emptytemp]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot when it is done
After that

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.Posted Image

• Double-click OTL.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTL.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

MBAM can be uninstalled via control panel add/remove but it may be a useful tool to keep.

Any other tools remaining may be deleted.

Next, we need to clean your restore points and set a new one:

Please go here for directions on how to do this. You need to turn System Protection off to delete all old restore points, reboot and then turn System Protection back on to create a new restore point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A reminder: Remember to (re-install if uninstalled during cleaning) update and turn back on any anti-malware programs you may have turned off during the cleaning process.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some things that I think are worth having a look at if you don't already know about them:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article Strong passwords: How to create and use them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regularly check that your Java is up to date. Older versions are vunerable to malicious attack.

• Download Java for Windows

Reboot your computer.
    You also need to unininstall older versions of Java.
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
  • Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future:

• If you do not already have automatic updates set then it is recommended that you do set Windows to check, download and install your updates automatically.

* Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update
    * Under Windows Update click on Turn automatic updating on or off
    * Check items shown to ensure you receive updates automatically. Click OK.

And to keep your system clean consider choosing from these free for home use malware scanners and updating and running weekly.
  • Malwarebytes
  • SuperAntiSpyWare
Be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

Go here for some good advice about how to prevent infection.

A fun way to check your online safety literacy.

Quiz - getsafeonline

Have a safe and happy computing day!

tunruh

tunruh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Okay, I think the issue is solved. Nice work, Teacher. I wish I knew what you know, but I'm really glad for your help. Also, thanks for the advice, I'll look into your suggestions.

Tom

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I think the issue is solved.

You are very welcome. :happy:

I will keep this topic open for a day or two in case any issues arise.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.