Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Won't Post...Sometimes

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I'm trying to help a friend out and am completely stumped. He has been getting a no POST situation where we can't even get the Acer splash screen and the computer won't initialize the video card.

Here is what I've tried along with the result:

• Tried working monitor = No POST
  • Installed new video card = No POST
  • Disconnected everything external except monitor and keyboard = No POST
  • Disconnected HDD = POST
  • Installed New HDD = No POSt
  • Disconnected New HDD = No POST
  • Removed DIMM 2 = POST
  • Installed DIMM 1 in Slot 2 = POST
  • Removed DIMM 1 and Installed only DIMM 2 = POST
  • Re-installed both memory sticks = POST
  • Reinstalled old HDD = POST (At this point everything is exactly the same as it was when I started and it wouldn't POST)
  • Threw my hands up in the air and said this is impossible
  • Put side back on case and set computer back on floor = No POST (What the heck is going on here?)
  • Removed DIMM 2 (again) = POST (Ahhhhhh!!!)
  • Ran MemTest 86 for one pass and Hitachi HDD Diagnostics = Passed
  • Tested the power supply along with SATA power connectors and the 4-pin CPU connector = Pass
  • Gave up and told him to run with one stick for now
  • Ordered new RAM which should be here in a few days(figured it was worth a shot)

I'm thoroughly confused and don't know what's going on with this thing. How would disconnecting everything, re-installing work and then I put the computer back on the floor and it refuses to POST?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
My first thought was a case short, but since you mention it's an Acer that's doubtful. How did you test the power supply? Do you have another power supply to test?

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I used a power supply tester that I bought off NewEgg awhile ago. It's pretty much just like this Rexus PST-3, but I think it's a different manufacturer.

He has an old Dell in his closet that I could cannibalize for the power supply. I would have to check the wattage to be sure. I doubt it has the SATA power connectors, but I think I have some in a drawer at my house I can give him.

Do you think a power supply would cause this issue? Although it tested good, I'm assuming things might change once you add a load.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
Just because of the random nature I'm thinking power supply or motherboard. Power supply is much easier to swap.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi Spyder, check the motherboard capacitors around the processor & memory slots. Are any the tops bulging ?.