Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All downloads finishing early

• Please log in to reply

hybridalienrob

hybridalienrob

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an odd problem with windows 7 - every single web download I start finishes early. The browser (both chrome & IE) thinks the download is complete, but the size of the download is always smaller than it should be.

The odd thing is that if I download the same files (this applies to ALL web downloads) from within a virtual machine (ubuntu or XP) running on the same PC it works fine, so I know it's not my connection or a hardware issue.

I'm stumped - anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks
Rob

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Can you download and install firefox to test?
Which antivirus you have?

hybridalienrob

hybridalienrob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Firefox does exactly the same thing.

AV is Trend Micro OfficeScan.

Thanks
Rob

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Firefox does exactly the same thing.

AV is Trend Micro OfficeScan.

Thanks
Rob

Can you temporary unload Trend OfficeScan? Right click on blue icon next to the clock and choose Unload.
If it asks for a password you will need to contact the OfficeScan Administrator.

Trend Micro OfficeScan includes a service that works like a proxy it will intercept and filter all the http traffic, if for some reason its not working properly it can interfere with the downloads.
If you unload OfficeScan the service will be disabled and the download should go directly.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you try to open or install the downloads? Did they open/installed correctly?

hybridalienrob

hybridalienrob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sods law - after I rebooted my machine today, all downloads are completing just fine. I'll keep an eye on it & if it happens again, I'll try disabling the AV.

Thanks
Rob