Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to access what computers have used router?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
How would I find out what computers, by their MAC numbers, have connected to my router?

Is this possible only when the computers are using the router or is there also a memory of what has used it in the past?

Thanks for any help.

XP SP3, Chrome

Edited by Plutox, 02 November 2012 - 08:14 AM.

Advertisements

Slash12a

Slash12a

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I don't know how it works for all router types, but if you're using a Linksys router you can go to your routers settings through your browser. You'll have to know your routers IP (Usually 192.168.1.1). Once you log into the router you can go to the 'Status' tab, and then to the 'Local Network' tab. Once there (At least on my router) there's a button that says 'DHCP Clients Table.' Clicking that will give you a list of all the devices (IP, MAC, name) connected to your router that are getting an address through DHCP, it won't show those with static addresses however.

You can also go to the 'Administration' tab and click on 'Log' after that. If it's enabled you can look at the Incoming and outgoing Log for your router. This will only give IP addresses though.

I only know this works for sure on my Linksys router, I'm sure other brands have similar setups though. Hopefully it was helpful.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks so much for your info on this.

I have a different router so I'll check out its setup using your helpful pointers - thanks again.