Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disk Defragmenter does not run to completion.

• Please log in to reply

chally

chally

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Disk Defragmenter runs for about 2 to 2.5 hours and then the PC shutdown and restarted. I did not see it happen but I had left the computer unattended and when I came back the login screen was up. This has happenned twice. About six months ago I successfully ran Disk Defragmenter.

My system is Microsoft Windows XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

I'd appreciate help.
csf

Advertisements

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I found too many glitches using XP's built in Disk Defragmenter. Instead I use Smart Defrag which is free, faster and has none of the glitches.Sorry I'm not an expert on the glitches of Disk Defragmenter but maybe you will prefer Smart Defrag.

You can get it here:

www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html
Hope this helps

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Another good program to replace the not so good XP defrag is Auslogics Disk Defrag Free only use the free part and not the other options

http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts
Hi chally, if you are still having difficulty with defragmenting your hard drive then post back with the amount of free space you have on your hard drive and the degree of fragmentation that you currenly have.
Have you tried defragging in safe mode?
Regards
paws

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yes, I am still having problems running the built in Disk Defragmenter. I have not yet tried the tools suggested in the replies above. I've been having other problems too, like PC is extremely slow most of the time, programs go non-responsive, PC freezes, PC goes to sleep (apparently) and can't be awakened unles I manually shot down, PC shuts down and restarts on it own.

I have been trying to research the subject and there are so many recommendations out there that I don't know what to do. I find it hard to believe that the built in defragmenter is no good and nobody what causes it to die. I am considering using Auslogic Disk Defrag Free.

Do you have a recommendation?
chally

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts
Hi chally, it sounds as though your computer has a lot more problems than just needing a defrag....

Let us know how much free disc space you have and also how much RAM is fitted and we can then make some suggestions
Regards
paws