Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with new build

• Please log in to reply

tixsao

tixsao

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I had some issues with my pc so thought it was time for a rebuild keeping a few of the existing components.

I plug everything in and switch on, CPU fan comes on for about a second, computer then switches itself off and restarts and just repeats this process.

I unplug/replug everything double checking it all, switch on, CPU fan comes on for a second and then computer switches itself off. This time it does not go into a restarting loop like before.

I have removed components one by one to see if any of them are the cause, but no matter what i try it comes on for a second and then switches itself off.

I am at a complete loss, only thing i can think of is its a broken CPU?

MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE Z77 Socket 1155
RAM: 4x4gb DDR3 1600 corsair
CPU: Intel Core i5 3450 3.1GHz Socket 1155
HDD: Samsung 64GB 830 Series SS
GFX: ATI Radeon 5800 HD (kept from existing pc)
PSU: Antec 650w (kept from existing pc)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: tixsao

Did you do a barebones set-up outside of the case first.

Possible causes include overheating due to incorrect thermal paste application, a bad or disconnected CPU fan, bent or missing CPU pin/s, a system short caused by an incorrectly placed stand off, stray screw, bared wire or incorrectly connected system cable/switch.