Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please help: Computer stops suddenly with no reason

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Hello Andr3w84

Thanks for the update and do let us know how if we can help with selecting a new PSU.

You are most welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Andr3w84

Andr3w84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi phillpower2, thank you very much again for your so timely and knowledgeable help. I've had 4 "computer freezing" occasions since the last time and I've realized that if I turn on my PC soon (right away to several hs) after I had the last freezing problem, it's for sure I'll have a new problem very very soon. That leads me to think it's a CPU or RAM temperature problem; even if that's not what seems, how else the likelihood of such problems increases so much if the PC's still warm?? Another possible culprit is the mouse, this one is very good but very old, and usually the freezing occurs when I'm using it.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

Andr3w84

Andr3w84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I just remembered, also in the last couple of weeks or so, there's been several occasions in which the screen sort of froze for a second or two, them it went back to normal. Not the usual firefox, office program overloading while which you can still move the mouse, select other active programs, view files in the explorer, etc. but total, 100% freezings.

I'm very concerned because as I think I mentioned previously, I have to move to another state (~4000 kms or 2500 miles) in about 3, 4 months and don't want to buy a new computer before that; please help me identify exactly what's the problem with this one. Thank you very much.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Hello Andr3w84

Has the PSU been changed yet?

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up or cause the system to freeze, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.