Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fake HDD problems (File Restore Virus) Also, Bing Search redirected [S

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

inthewindagain

inthewindagain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Jasmyne

PC is still running well and I have not seen the popup today. Attachments with scans follows:

Attached File  checkup.txt   1.15KB   75 downloadsAttached File  log.txt   793bytes   86 downloadsAttached File  mbam-log-2012-11-12 (16-21-16).txt   1.89KB   72 downloads

Thanks

Advertisements

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
And the best part of the day...Congratulations & Good Work, your logs are clean! :thumbsup:

Now for some final "housekeeping" procedures.

1. Clear Old Restore Points
  • Run OTL, copy and paste the following into the Custom Scans/Fixes area at the bottom

:Commands

[CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]

• Then Click Run Fix

2. OTL Cleanup
  • Open OTL
  • Click the CleanUp button at the top, it will ask to reboot your PC, please allow it to do so

3. Remove ComboFix

• Delete the current copy of ComboFix on your desktop
  • Download a fresh copy from here to your desktop
  • Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
  • In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall (Notice the space between the "x" and "/") then click OK

Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts on the screen
  • A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Anti Malware Protection ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware This is an excellent Anti-Malware product. It offers free malware scanning, free malware removal, and free updates. It is recommended to periodically run a Quick Scan to keep your PC as clean as possible. Remember to check for updates before running a scan, so click the Update tab along the top, then click Check for Updates.

SUPERAntiSpyware Is another great Anti-Malware product that scans your computer for known Spyware, Adware, Malware, Trojans, and many other types of threats, and allows you to remove or quarantine them. It offers daily (manual) definition updates, as well as home page hijack protection and customizable scan options.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Free Antivirus Protection ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Always make sure you have an antivirus program! If for some reason in the future you'd like to switch programs here are some recomendations: Microsoft Security Essentials, Anti-Vir or Avast! Antivirus all three FREE to use. Please remember that you can only have one Antivirus installed at a time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Free Firewall Programs ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like antivirus, if for some reason in the future you'd like to switch, Comodo Personal Firewall and Sunbelt Personal Firewall are two good options for a FREE firewall to help protect your computer from any unwanted intruders.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Staying Updated ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keeping your PC updated is important to protect yourself against future infections. There are many infections which will exploit loopholes within Windows itself, Java and Adobe Reader. Keeping these updated is a very good habit to get into.

Automatic Updates Updates to your Operating System are vital in closing loopholes and fixing bugs which some infections exploit. To keep your Windows updated, ensure that 'Automatic Updates' is enabled on your PC so updates are downloaded and installed automatically. Click here to find out how.

File Hippo Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programs on your system need updating and give a download link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Alternate Browsers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Using an alternative web browser can help protect your PC from infections which exploit security holes within Internet Explorer. They can also be quicker to load pages and offer more tools and features such as Firefox's huge add-on list.

Firefox - My personal choice, easy to use and has a large number of excellent add-ons that can be installed to help keep you away from malicious sites and reduce advertisements and popups etc. AdBlockPlus and WOT are very useful add-ons that are worth having installed.

Google Chrome - Is another browser that's easy to use and is worth trying if you want to test out new browsers.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place?

Happy surfing! :wave:

inthewindagain

inthewindagain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Jasmyne

I cant thank you and your instructor enough for the job you've done helping to cleanse my PC of this nasty bug.I shall be much more dilligent while surfing in the future. I do not wish to have this happen again but I realize that there are people out there that make a living doing damage to others. If they could only channel their energy for good deeds.

I will be looking at suggestions you and others have made to prevent a future attack. Thanks and if there is some support I can throw in any direction, please let me know. :yeah:

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
inthewindagain,

You're very welcome. My instructor for this log was Essexboy. :)

You're very correct about the people out there that make create these problems for a living, unfortunately, the bad guys change it as soon as the good guys find a way to kill it. It makes it difficult for anyone to stay 100% safe all the time.

We will leave this thread open for a few days so if you have any more problems you can let us know. Good luck, but if you ever need us again we will be here.

Jasmyne

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.