Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor

• Please log in to reply

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
i know alot about computers. I just am not to good with processors. I don't know how to connect them or overclock or anything. Anyway i have a facory made dell. Will i be able to take out the procesoor and and add a better one of do i have to get a whole new motherboard??

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Depends?

Find the model number of your Dell and search Dells website to see if it upgradable from what your currently running :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
agreed, onecool is correct. some dells have room for upgrade in that respect, youll have to look it up. note you may have to get the chip from them, as adding a processor they didnt sell you would surely void the warranty.
also be warned dell usually locks the bios, so there is no opportunity for overclocking.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
not just my comp particulary but an mobo can you change processors. If so how. it looks like its saudered in or something. My bios is unlocked by the way a friend did something to it i have 600mhz cpu running at about 800mhz want a P4 at least 2ghz

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the processor usually drops into a socket on the mobo. then the hsf is installed over top of that.
some boards (typically the cheap korean ones in my experience) will solder the cpu directly to the mobo. if thats the case, your stuck with it.

look up your mobo on the manufacturers site. it will tell you what socket it uses, the maximum speed cpu it can support, etc.

again, with your machine being a dell, they tend to use non standard parts, so it could be difficult or impossible to upgrade. or you would have to buy the part from them, and their pricing is disgusting- I looked on their site yesterday, they wanted $210 for a 1024 stick of DDR2700 ram! it had the dell sticker on it.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
hudihoo -

Lets face reality here - if you have a 600MHz processor and want a P4 - you're going to need a brand spanking new mobo and perhaps a whole bunch more (memory? and HSF/ at a minimum). Motherboards have sockets on them for processors and no P4 is going to fit that mobo's current socket. Your best bet is to leave well enough alone until you can buy or build an entirely new system. You probably have a socket 370 and may be able to upgrade that with another 370 CPU but check out the motherboard re: cpu compatability on the mfg's site as already mentioned.

:tazz:

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
maybe we can help you. Give us your service number and model of the dell.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
The service tag is not only going to provide the original configuration, but some personal information too - if one knows how to look. Your call, but hacp is right - that gives anyone the information needed to answer these questions.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
i just got my comp built today using it now. got amd athlon 3500+

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Smart move - congratulations.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
it was more then i wanted to spend. Wanted to use the old mobo and go with intel but the pc works fine and a [bleep] of alot better then my old dell. got new vid card for my dell and wireless router so i got a 4comp network all able to play unreal the first game of the year edition and halo fine on all of them so it is good. Like i said i know alot about computers just not about installing processors i know all the specs and socket stuff and overclocking just couldn't get it installed. Thanks guys!