Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help-Computer keeps freezing & rebooting

• Please log in to reply

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok. Removed one stick of memory and rebooted. Everything worked OK. Created boot disk with memtest and ran it at boot-up on the first mem stick. Ran for 5 complete passes. No errors. I will repeat with 2nd mem stick. will report back tomorrow.

Thanks, ERF

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great job so far! :thumbsup:

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
OK, ran memtest on the 2nd mem stick. 3 passes no errors. No problems booting up from 2nd mem stick. reinstalled both mem sticks in different slots and restarted. Everything appears to be OK. What do we do next?

Thanks,ERF

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you put both memory sticks back in and how is everything running now?

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yes, both mem sticks are back in, installed in different slots than thier original position. The computer is running OK. I do notice some "lagging" as the mouse pointer hangs up from time to time and applications are slow to start up. It has not completely frozen up but I also have not run it for a long time. It's still not acting completely normal.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK we now know the memory and hard drive are good so I would like to look at the OS and programs.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Click the Options at the top of the Window. In the new little window click the box that states Hide Microsoft Services
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save the file as AutoRuns.txt file instead of the default .arn to a known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.
8: DO NOT do anything till we have had a chance to study the log and reply with suggestions as to what to remove.

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Attached is the Autoruns file.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "TkBellExe"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have done what you requested and ran the defrag as well. Results of defrag are as follows:

Disk Size 37.30 GB
Free Space Size 9.97 GB
Clusters 9777552
Sectors per cluster 8
Bytes per sector 512
Started defragmentation 11/13/2012 5:32:16 PM
Completed defragmentation 11/13/2012 7:17:07 PM
Elapsed time 01:44:50
Total Files 107923
Total Directories 16823
Fragmented Files 21600
Defragmented Files 21353
Skipped Files 247
Fragmentation Before 51.84% ||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Fragmentation After 24.52% |||||||||||||

What would you like me to do now? Thanks, ERF

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How is the system running now?

Advertisements

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
definately running better. I have not run it for a long period of time to see if it will hang up. I still notice some lagging but it's definately better. I think some of my drivers may be messed up. I plugged in my digital camera to the USB port and it did not recognize the device. That's never happened before.

Also, I would like to try to reconnect my E: drive to see what the heck is wrong with that.

Edited by erf, 14 November 2012 - 09:23 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets check the drivers first.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Attached is the URL:

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25132987

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok looks like two drivers for sure need updating. Lets check the others.

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.
If you want you can post screenshots of all the drivers in the list that need to be updated and I will suggest in what order to get them.

erf

erf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
My computer froze up again while trying to download drivermax....crap