Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Sony Vaio screen only starts up as normal about 30% of the time, us

• Please log in to reply

esmev

esmev

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I have a sony Vaio VPCEF3E1E laptop. Most of the time when I press the power button the green light comes on and I can hear the computer starting but there is nothing but a black screen and then the computer becomes quieter than a usual start up. The computer can be turned off by holding the power button down for a few seconds. It can be working fine then I shut down/ sleep/ hiberbnate and I when I resume, sometimes minutes later, I have this problem. It works as normal about 30% of the time. I would say I'm a complete novice when it comes to most and certainly hardware problems. The only kind of trouble shooting I have done is plug an HDMI cable from my vaio to tv - still a black screen. I have looked at other forum topics and cannot find any that match my random screen problems only those who have a permanant screen failure. I also dropped my laptop whilst in its padded case a few weeks ago from a short distance (it's a pretty heavy laptop) but these are the first problems I've had.

Any help shedding some light on what the problem is would be much appreciated, even if its just advice as to how much this kind of repair would cost!

Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: esmev

You may have a loose display ribbon/cable or memory module.

Not all notebooks are capable of displaying an image using a HDMI connection so if you can try another screen that has a VGA or DVI port, I have to ask though did you press the Fn and the F7 key to toggle between screens.

Try reseating your Ram in case it has become loose from when the notebook was dropped, see page 89 onwards for how to do this ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/Notebooks/VPCEF3/EE3_EF3_EN.pdf

Let us know how you get on.