Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clean up time

• Please log in to reply

mmblvanna

mmblvanna

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi there tech experts!

I'm in the mood of cleaning up my computers at home and a few laptops. I'm the one that my family and my gf family turn to, to fix many problems :rolleyes:

Now its been awhile since i've done this, and done research. reason why is because there are so many miss leading websites that popup and its all he said she said stuff :confused:

Now what are the best programs to use to full on clean the computer from programs to those hidden drivers etc. and also get rid of those annoying services that run in the back ground when it is not need too like, itune for one! :angry:

Any help would be awesome :thumbsup:
thank you

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That's quite simple. Uninstall all the programs that you don't want. You can do it through Add or Remove programs in Control Panel or by using a program like Revo Uninstaller.

Next, go through your documents and data and delete everything which you don't want to keep. Do the same with your emails.

Third, install CCleaner. Keep the default settings and run the cleaner once or twice to clean unnecessary files. Contrary to what other people say, I recommend using the registry cleaner of CCleaner too. I use it extensively and it never failed me. Run it twice. Please backup the registry when given the option to do so.

Last, run a disk defragmentation. Usually I use Auslogic for this purpose but you can use Windows defragmenter just as well, if somewhat slower.

mmblvanna

mmblvanna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thank you Skeptic for your time.

obviously the first two steps was a no brainer, but the next few where more helpful. i knew about CCleaner but wasn't to sure about registry CCleaner, i was a lil sus on it. but ill give it ago!

And thankz for the head up on a different program to defagment the hard drive (Auslogic)!

I'll give them ago today and i'll let you know if there is any other problems.

Do you recommend using a 'HD tuner' or any of those other programs at all?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

Do you recommend using a 'HD tuner' or any of those other programs at all?

I am not familiar with HD tuner. As a rule, here in G2G we do not recommend any program that is supposed to improve performance by touching the registry. I accept the rule with the exception of CCleaner. I use it for years and consider it safer then any of the tools that I am familiar with.

In short, run CCleaner, defragment, and that's it. No cleaners and, most important, no driver-update programs. These are the worst.