Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hibernation Failure

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Windows XP SP-3 Compaq Presario SR1000Z. When I place my computer into Hibernation it will enter into that mode - when I check back later it has awaken from Hibernation - suggestions please! Thanks!!!

Advertisements

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Disable WoL feature from within the BIOS. It seems like perhaps your motherboard or network card is waking the machine on all network activity instead of just the magic packets that are supposed to wake it up.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Can you say this in a simpler way? What is WoL and where do I find BIOS. Thanks!!!

SpyCatsher

SpyCatsher

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Hello jbljohn,

My First answer was removed; most probably was not good, sorry for that; so I searched for WOL as SongCloud is most probably right, because his answer stays <_< . WOL means Wake up On LAN. My search result is specific for the motherboard installed on your computer which most likely should help your computer problem if there are no other issues that cause this problem. So here you go:
To access WOL you must first inter the BIOS settings:

• Turn off the computer and wait five seconds
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly until a BIOS Setup screen opens
  • If nothing happens repeat the same booting process but use F1 key instead of F10 key

In the BIOS Setup utility
navigate to Manageability Function as shown in this link:
http://h10025.www1.h...2#jumptocontent

then uncheck the WOL function: Wake on PS/2 mouse, which most probably mean that your computer “wakes up”, starts again, when you use the mouse; and that makes sense if I’m not mistaken, as you explained in your question.

The following link can be useful to orientate with an example of Compaq BIOS: http://h10025.www1.h...e=bph07110#N174

as it has a couple of screen shots of it; so not necessarily the BIOS version on your motherboard. It gives an idea where you might find the WOL Function, which I think it could be located under the Power Tab otherwise try Advanced.

Edited by SpyCatsher, 12 November 2012 - 03:12 AM.