Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet keeps dropping in the evenings.

• Please log in to reply

JoelMac121

JoelMac121

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm really starting to get frustrated by this at the moment, I am not very good with computers so please bare with me on this. Every evening past around 7 pm my wired internet seems to be dropping and then coming back on every 10 minutes or so and it is really annoying. The most annoying thing is the wireless is still working fine. I will be playing wow on my computer, which is connected to the internet by an ethernet port which plugs into a homeplug in an electric socket, at the same time I will be talking to my friend on skype using my Ipad which is connected via wifi to my router downstairs. The internet on my pc will drop, disconnect me from wow and I also won't be able to use web browsers, however my Ipad will stay connected to the wifi. My parents are also telling me that they're internet connection is also fine (they use a laptop which is also connected using the wifi) This also happens with my xbox live which is connected also using a homeplug ethernet connection. As you can probably imagine this is driving me crazy as it seems to be happening always after 7pm, so when I come home from work and just wanna chill playin a bit of wow or even go on xbox live I can't and it is really, really annoying me. I recently tried setting my computer back to factory settings but that didnt do anything to help, I have tried changing the homeplug and ethernet cables but that didn't seem to work either. When the internet disconnects the internet connection symbol in the bottom right of the screen on the toolbar turns to a computer with a little yellow exclamation mark, it also comes up with an error message when I try to troubleshoot it, however I am not to sure what the message is as it is working fine at the moment although I will update later on today as I am sure it will start going down again in the evening today.

I'm sorry if what I have just wrote seems like a caveman to you but again I am not great with computers, thanks for reading.

Advertisements

ChiliTech

ChiliTech

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not understanding how your PC is connected to the internet. Is it an ethernet cable right to your router? What other type of traffic is going out at your house at that time? Videos, games? Do you have cable, fiber, DSL?

InnovativeNERD

InnovativeNERD

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had that same problem before; It was my roomates playing computer game and my router could not support all of us..