Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2008 R2 - Domain User as Administrator

• Please log in to reply

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hi guys,

I'm not quite sure what went wrong, or what's missing.
I have a domain user account which I added to the built-in Administrators group.
I am expecting that this Domain user has administrative privileges on a computer that's logged in the domain.

I log in using that user but whenever I perform something that requires administrative rights, Windows prompts me for a username/password.
I try to use the user account that I added to the Administrators group but Windows does not accept it.
It does, however, accept the built-in domain administrator user account to grant me access.

Why does my domain user account not have admin privileges even though it already belongs to the Administrators group?

Note:
The PC that I used to log in the domain is newly formatted, with newly installed OS.
Therefore, there should be no funky local settings that could have caused this.

Thanks!

edit: specified built-in domain administrator account, NOT the local administrator account.

Edited by Sera, 04 November 2012 - 07:16 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

I have a domain user account which I added to the built-in Administrators group.

Hi,

The build-in Administrators group is always local only, you need to add the user to the Domain Admins group.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Aha!
You're right SleepyDude!

Thanks!