Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random BSOD and Programs Crashing

• Please log in to reply

PorygonX

PorygonX

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

Over the past month or so, I've been getting regular BSOD, usually MEMORY MANAGEMENT or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, at a rate of about 3 or more everyday. Aside from that, random applications stop working such as Microsoft Word, Windows Live Messenger, Desktop Gadgets, GFxuI, explorer, etc.

The MEMORY_MANAGEMENT screen I get is:

Posted Image

I don't think that it's malware related because I've ran a couple of scans and nothing has come up.
I have blue screen view installed, but everytime I check it after a crash, nothing is there.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

PorygonX

PorygonX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi how do I find out if I have more than one RAM stick installed?

I'm running a Dell XPS L502X

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Skip that part and do the memtest86 program itself.

PorygonX

PorygonX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Alright I will do the memtest this weekend as I'm too busy during the week.

I will post the results then.

PorygonX

PorygonX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi. I apologize as I do not have any discs to burn the program onto. Can I just mount it instead?

This is my parents computer that I'm trying to fix.

SeanC309

SeanC309

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It'll only be mountable via a USB stick, as long as you get the right version to boot from USB ( http://www.memtest.o...b.installer.zip )
Memtest runs before the OS starts up, so mounting it would be totally unhelpful :(

Don't quote me on this, but IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is normally a hardware issue or conflict. If you are also getting MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, this suggests dodgy RAM module(s)

However, before you jump straight to throwing money at it, let the Mod finish his steps with you, because there maybe a different problem.

Best of luck! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
SeanC309 is correct in you can run the memtest from the USB steps that were included. Running the test from a cd or usb allows the memory to be free for testing and without the interference of the OS.
Understand that we will be testing the hardware so we will need disks or a usb version to be bootable for the above reasons.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 21 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

PorygonX

PorygonX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi,

So sorry for the delay in responses as I was away. I will get to running the program ASAP.

Again, sorry and thanks!

EDIT: How do you get it to boot from the USB? Do I just restart the computer or are there buttons I have to mash?

Edited by PorygonX, 09 December 2012 - 07:51 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You ma6y have to enter the bios if you don't have a boot sequence you can get to during bootup.

PorygonX

PorygonX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

You ma6y have to enter the bios if you don't have a boot sequence you can get to during bootup.

Umm... how would you do that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Usually you click the Del key on the first black screen that shows. Look at the bottom of the screen when you first startup and it should tell you how to enter the bios or setup.
Once there then you need to find the Boot Sequence area and make sure the USB is the first boot device. You will have to look at the bottom of the screen to see how to change the fields. Once done then click F10 to Save and Exit and then follow the prompts to exit saving the configuration. Make sure your USB device is plugged in so it will read it when it reboots.

PorygonX

PorygonX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorry for the lengthy wait. I did not get an email notifying me that you had replied.

I will do that.

I'm assuming that in order to get out of booting from USB, I have to redo those steps?

Edited by PorygonX, 17 December 2012 - 09:55 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not really because if there is not a bootable drive installed it will bypass it and move on to the next bootable device in the sequence. You can change it back if you wish though. I myself always leave my cdrom drive as my first boot device just in case. In your circumstance since your cdrom does not work it may not be the best sequence for you.