Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need advice for a first time bios flash

• Please log in to reply

Airoch420

Airoch420

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have been interested in doing a bios flash as I just upgraded to win 7 fresh install and this would be my first time doing a bios flash if I do it. There are currently 21 bios updates listed and I am wondering if I should get them or just leave it alone. I am curious as to how much system stability and possible performance upgrades this could do. Any and all comments will be helpful.

GPU

http://www.sapphiret...sn=&lid=1&leg=0

Mobo

http://www.asus.com/...A78CM/#download

CPU

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103253

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Gday Airoch420.
If you do not already know your BIOS ver, here's how, > http://pcsupport.abo...sversysinfo.htm
Looking at the updates available on the web site, You will probable find yours it up to date.
Most other kinds of updates are quite old except AMD cool and quite.
Chapter 2 in your user manual for updating the BIOS.

A discrete video card should be updated to the latest ver, directly from the manufacturers web site, I advise against using Beta drivers.
The OS should be updated.
I suggest you also do a image backup of the OS drive and create a recovery disk. Can be done with windows tools.

Edited by iammykyl, 05 November 2012 - 08:33 AM.

Airoch420

Airoch420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the reply! Current Bios info.

M3A78-CM BIOS 0405
2008.07.25 update

Which is the initial release bios way at the bottom of the update list. So there's a good 20 updates that came out for it. So should I attempt a flash?

As for the AMD cool and quiet thing I don't have it installed should I? I have it on my Mobo CD but it seemed to just be a device to play around with the fans so I never install it anymore. Under the qualified vendor list there is also this.

M3A78-CM Memory QVL

I have no clue as to what this is/does and if its needed. Would love some more feedback from you tech experts :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts

M3A78-CM Memory QVL

This is a list of all RAM that has been successfully tested on your Motherboard. When building a system you would select RAM from this list and be assured it would work.

What version of Windows are you running, Vista 32/64bit? W7 32/64bit?

Airoch420

Airoch420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Just did a fresh install of Win 7 / 32 Professional

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
OK, thanks.
I advise updating the Asus updating program before attempting a BIOS flash.
Go to > http://www.asus.com/...A78CM/#download > expand Utilities (10)
> select , ASUS Update V7.17.06 Install Program for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.
> download to the desktop, > close running programs, including the browser, > install the update, > restart the computer.
Go, > programs, > Asus, > Asus Update, Check that the utility is updated.> in the drop down window select, > save current BIOS to file, I would save to My Docs in a new folder named "BIOS files" when finished,

Go, > drop down window, select > Update BIOS from internet, > next, > select, Auto Select, > next, If this BIOS ver is not selected, (M3A78-CM BIOS 2801} I would cancel and seek advise from Asus Support. If everything OK,
follow the promps. When complete, start Asus update again and save the current, (new) BIOS to My Docs.

Restart the computer.

Edited by iammykyl, 05 November 2012 - 10:56 PM.

Airoch420

Airoch420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Everything seems to have worked fine. Bios shows me as running 2801 now. Although they way the computer boots up now has completely changed. It runs Asus Express Gate, is that normal? I did not see any settings for changing the way it boots up.

Express gate

Express Gate™ is an ASUS exclusive OS that provides you with quick access to the Internet and key applications before entering Windows®.

I don't really see the point of this and it seems like I would have no use for it. Is there anyway to get it to boot up like it used to?

Edited by Airoch420, 07 November 2012 - 12:29 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Great.Posted Image
Express Gate in controlled in the BIOS under the Tools tab, Set to Disable if you do not want to use it. remember to save and exit.

When you have the OS running as you want it, use the window7 Backup tools to take a image of the OS drive, best to save anywhere other than the primary drive, then create a recovery disk.

Good luck.

Airoch420

Airoch420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
And how would I get to this Bios/Tools menu now? It boots up completely different now. It does not have that first screen when you boot up where you can hit a command to get to the other menus.

Edited by Airoch420, 07 November 2012 - 03:16 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
When starting the computer, hold down F8, you should still enter BOIS, if not.
On my computer, when Express Gates screen appears, at bottom right, there are three round buttons, one of them say's (BIOS), click it and the BIOS screen will open.

Airoch420

Airoch420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Could not figure out how to get into the bios setting. Holding F8 took me to the boot from device 1 through 4 options. The only other two options I saw were to hit Del which would go to setup which did nothing as I did not have the windows CD in the drive. And then the Tab option which only shows the brief information that flashes on a normal boot up.

As for this

On my computer, when Express Gates screen appears, at bottom right, there are three round buttons, one of them say's (BIOS), click it and the BIOS screen will open.

There was no buttons or even a mouse cursor to click one if they were there.

Edited by Airoch420, 10 November 2012 - 06:42 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Please restart the computer and hold down delete, does that get you into the BIOS?
If Express gate still starts, please tell me what is on the screen.
After a short time does the computer go to windows? or do you have to press a key to continue?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Hi.
Not heard back from you!! Have you sorted out your problem?