Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Error

• Please log in to reply

Bassman02

Bassman02

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have a Windows 7 Lenovo laptop and when I try to start it, it says

File: \windows\system32\ntoskrn1.exe
Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt.

I have tried booting in Safe Mode and get the same error message, also have tried booting in the last known good configuration with the same result. I have the 2 disks my computer guy gave me last year not sure if they are the right ones or not, but I can't figure out how to get it to boot from the computer.

Edited by Bassman02, 05 November 2012 - 07:15 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Your Lenovo laptop should have a key you can press to get to the Boot options menu. Once you figure out how to get there, follow these directions to run chkdsk and System File Checker.

How to run chkdsk and/or System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console
  • Boot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
  • At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C:) and click Next
  • At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory
  • Run chkdsk or SFC
  • If you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
  • For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above if not C:).
  • For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter (use the letter from above if not C:)
Let either run to completion undisturbed.

Vista or Windows 7: If you don't have a install DVD, you can download a legal copy here:
Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River
Download Official Windows Vista RTM with SP1 Setup Files (32-bit and 64-bit)

Make sure you get the same version you have installed: 32 or 64 bit; Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate.

Bassman02

Bassman02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks I got it working now :)

What would have caused this?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is the battery good? If not, unplugging it or powering off the computer without doing a shutdown can cause this.