Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

More wireless problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Paultheconfused

Paultheconfused

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi. Please help - very confused.

Have installed a wireless router modem, Belkin "ADSL Modem with High-SPeed Mode Wireless-G ROuter".

It setup fine using the ethernet cable, and I can use the internet etc. The laptop also picks up the wireless signal fine, and tells me I am connected at 54MBPS or whatever.

Problem comes when I unplug the ethernet cable - I cannot use the internet at all.

Please help (and I am new to this so please be gentle)

Laptop (running XP SP2) has built in wireless.

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
heya Paul,

Do me a favor, when you disconnect the ethernet cable go to your network settings (Start -> Control Panel -> Network Settings). Find the network corresponding to your wireless card, right click it and choose "repair". This should perform a multitute of actions and will (hopefully) give you the "A-OK".

Try that and tell me the results if you don't mind.

Paultheconfused

Paultheconfused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Strange. Disconnected network cable. Tried to repair wireless. "Could not repair as couldnot connect to the wireless network"

But when I put the cable back in, the wireless network popped back up.

Oh, they are bridged, whatever that means - not sure if that makes difference!

Thanks for looking.

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Microsoft Definition

Network Bridge

Network Bridge removes the need for routing and bridging hardware in a home or small office network that consists of multiple LAN segments. Network Bridge forwards traffic among the multiple LAN segments, making them appear to be a single IP subnet.

You see, two bridged ethernet connections (in this case wired and wireless) aren't treated as two connections anymore... they're now one interface, with one IP address, etc. As a result, when one section of the bridge fails, they both fail... My guess is that when you disconnect the wired connection, it's killing the bridge, hence the reason you can't get the wireless connection going.

Unless you have a good reason to bridge these connections, you may want to get rid of the bridge. Again, this is only a good idea if there isn't a good reason why the connections are bridged. If you don't know, find someone to ask. I can't stress that enough.

If you decide to delete the bridge, click this link. It doesn't specifically apply to your situation, but it does have some GREAT instructions on how to delete the bridge.

Let me know what you decide and I'm sorry for the long post.

Edited by Guse, 07 June 2005 - 07:37 AM.

Paultheconfused

Paultheconfused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well, if this posts, that worked!

Paultheconfused

Paultheconfused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
...which it did!

Fantastic!

Thanks so much.

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
No prob. Enjoy.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Nice work :tazz: If you should need this open again let me know ;)

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)