Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open link in IE or Firefox

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I use XP Home and Firefox browser only. When I click a link to open a file like an advertising circular from a site or a chapter of a book posted I first get this message window:"Opening (filename). You have chosen to open (filename) which is a: Adobe Acrobat Document from:.... What should Firefox do with this file?" And there are the options to either open with Firefox which is the default or IEXPLORE.EXE or Other or Save File. When I choose to open with Firefox a downloads page opens with that file on top. When I double click that file a blank page comes up. When I choose to open with IEXPLORE.EXE a message window saying "Do you want to open or save this file" comes up. When I click to open the file a blank page comes up. When I choose to save the file form the same message window another window comes up with the options of where to save the file to with My Documents being the default location. When I choose to save the file to My Documents an icon of the file shows up in My Documents and when I double click on it a blank page shows up. When I choose to save the file from the original "Opening (filename)" message window the downloads page comes up with the filename on top and when I double click the file to open it a blank page comes up. Also, I cannot connect to the internet with IE now but have been able to do so in the past with this computer. On another forum someone recommended that I should try booting in safe mode with networking to see if the same thing occurs. I connect to the internet with wifi, so when I boot in safe mode with networking my desktop does not show the icons for my wifi connection so I don't know how to connect to the internet with the safe mode desktop. Thanks for any replies.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Install Foxit PDF Reader or Adobe Reader, see if that fixes it.

robertoberoi

robertoberoi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
As these are all your Download-able files, for that you need to install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat PDF file.

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I installed Foxit PF Reader and now everything works fine. I am able to download or view both the advertising circular and book that I could not do so with before. When I click to download Adobe Reader the "Opening install_reader11....You have chosen to open...." window pops up, I click to save the file, the downloads window comes up, I double click the install file in the downloads page, click on Run in the next window, the initializing step goes through, then I get the message:"Adobe Reader Installer... Initializing encountered errors. Actionlist not found." When I try to download Adobe Acrobat PDF I get the message:"Setup has determined that there is no product installed to update. Setup will now terminate". Do I need to bother with Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat if I am using Foxit PF Reader?