Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fans don't stop on sleep

• Please log in to reply

bullfrogBill

bullfrogBill

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First time builder, everything works great, except the fans won't stop, the cpu cooler LED is on and VGA fans stay on when I put the computer to sleep. It seems when the computer has been off for about half an hour, I can turn it on, put it to sleep and the fans turn off. If I've been on it for more than 10 minutes fans stay on. I have an aftermarket CPU cooler (which I am positive is installed correctly) and the CPU temperature doesn't get above 30C when I'm doing normal work (microsoft office, web browsing etc) so I don't believe it is running hot and the fans stay on for at least 30 minutes after I sleep. Running prime95 puts the temp up to 50C, but drops back to 30C a few seconds after stopping it.

So, I have the chassis fans plugged into the mobo. The mobo is a asrock z68 fatal1ty professional series gen 3 with p2.20 BIOS. There is no option in the BIOS (that I can find) to set the sleep mode to S3. This mobo also comes with a Dr. Debug LED to report any errors, so when the fans go off during sleep the debug says nothing, when the fans stay on it displays 01 (Power on. Reset type detection (soft/hard)). I'm running Windows 7 x64, haven't done any overclocking or made any changes to configurations.

I've reset the CMOS, updates drivers, tried running without my VGA, and spent the better part of yesterday googling for answers. I'm open to suggestions and willing to provide any additional details. The frustrating part is that the fans *sometimes* go off!

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements