Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ACPI Crashing

• Please log in to reply

conker87

conker87

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Alright. We have had this computer since 2001 where we got it with Windows XP Home Edition. Ever since then it has been crashing with a ACPI Error in the Events log. We have installed and Reinstalled XP about 6/7 times but this problem persists, though with some installations there has been less crashes or more crashes. This Installation it can be up to 7 crashes a day, or just none at all.

The logs from Events as follows. All with the Type of: "ACPI."
1:
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
2:
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
3:
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
4:
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0xcf8), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

I will post any additional information if you need it.
Can anyone give us any tips or solutions to getting rid of this problem? It is making the computer so annoying to be surfing on.

Advertisements

conker87

conker87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I think that it might be due to the Processor Overheating or a BIOS problem. I'm going to check the fans and the Heatsink when my dad goes to bed.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
who made your system...motherboard?

got a model number?

conker87

conker87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Where would I find this information?
BIOS, on the board itself or in Windows?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
on the board is one place, usually between the pci slots

owner manual

Did you make this PC or buy it?

conker87

conker87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I think my dad bought it from Staples. It's so old, I really am not sure where the Manual is so thats out of the question.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
there is not model number, you know, like HP pavillion 2900?

conker87

conker87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm not sure where I'm supposed to look for the Model number.

conker87

conker87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oh wait. If you mean this:
AMD Athlon MP Processor
1.33 GHz with 640MB of RAM.
Windows XP, v2002 with SP2.
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 Graphics Card.
Maxtor 6E040L0 (10GB) and 6Y080P0 (40GB) Hard Drives.
Does that help?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
back, maybe....front....can't you tell who made it--they stamp their name all across ... forget it.

download the following, save a report and attach it.

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

conker87

conker87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Before I post, I'd like to say that after being here about an hour, and reading a few post, I downloaded TuneUp and plan to buy it.

You want a System Summary, All Pages or a Hardware Report?

conker87

conker87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I did a full page report. It's attached.

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you install the via 4in1 drivers that came with this? Not likely to help, but will not hurt

ACPI stands for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface--it's an industry specifcation for OS-directed configuration and power management on PCs

MOST of the time, the fix for this is a BIOS update, but I cannot find a bios update for this in the info you supplied...Seems to be a LEGEND system by QDI, INC.

That sound possible?

I cannot find any bios updates for this and am leary to blindy suggest anything.

You need to get a hold of the manufacturer.

conker87

conker87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have actually found a few drivers from the QDI website. Looking through this I have noticed that version 3.8 (which came out a month or so after we bought the PC) fixes an ACPI problem, so I have downloaded the Flash, and version 4.1 bin file.
The problem here is I need it to Boot to DOS, does the "Create an MS-DOS Boot Disk" in Format make this happen? I cannot actually change the boot devices to A: as there is a password on the BIOS that I do not know.