Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpanel server connection

• Please log in to reply

dok300

dok300

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi guys

i am new to web development and am trying to get my site online.

I have created my site in dreamweaver and am trying to upload my files to cpanel.

However, i cannot connect to the server, despite the fact that the port is correct, logins are correct and domain name is correct.

It keeps saying "cannot connect to host". I have tried bitkinex and filezilla as alternative ftp clients and neither can connect, and the webdisc wont work with windows 7 for easy file upload.

Any ideas, or alternative suggestions to upload the files?? Really don't want to have to do it manually, file by file.

Help much appreciated.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Any reason you are uploading files to cPanel instead of using the file transfer client to load the files to the public_html folder on the server? If you can't connect to the host, something is wrong, and you won't be able to transfer any files.
Johanna

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
If you can log into your account online and go to the cPanel, the same information is used for a FTP connection. The only thing is to make sure you are using the correct FTP address or your correct domain name. If you can not see the default page that is currently being used after entering your domain name, then you may have other problems. Especially if you purchased your domain name one place and are hosting elesewhere. Then you have to make sure your named servers for your domain name point to where you are hosting your site. This will help you with Filezilla: FileZilla FTP Tutorial - How to Upload Your Site with FileZilla. In this tutorial you learn how to upload your website using FileZilla, the popular free FTP application. FileZilla is available for Windows, Mac and Linux. Read the full article here: http://www.elated.co...zilla-tutorial/ You have to be careful setting up the Publish information used by some web editors. I use the paid version of CoffeeCup's editor and Filezilla. Even have the paid version of CoffeeCup's FTP program which has an HTML/CSS editor and Graphics editor.

dok300

dok300

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
cheers works like a charm just changed the nameservers

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Kinda thought that might be the problem. Glad you got it resolved.