Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IMAPI.exe Trouble

• Please log in to reply

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
After burning countless cd's over the last year or two, the windows built in cd software seems to have failed. It starts, seemingly fine, but refuses to recognize any blank media in the device. At first, I thought it was a drive issue, maybe my drive was going, but it still read non-blank cd's. I tried several different brands of blank media, and even tried a different drive, but neither had any effect. Finally, I tried using Nero, and surprisingly it worked. This narrows the porblem down to the imapi.exe. It is enabled and starts in the services, but still fails to work outside a burning program. :tazz:

(I thought it may have been some kind of worm (like Alcon.a), but after several virus/spyware scans, nothing came up. As a precaution, I also searched for any .com files that may have been inhibiting the service, but still to no avail.)

Any solutions/advice would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

conker87

conker87

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
The Windows Event Viewer (which can be placed on the desktop by making a Shortcut goto: eventvwr.msc, or on the Start Menu by: Right Clicking the Menu, Going on the Start Menu Tab, Clcking Customize, going to Advanced, and Scrolling down until you find the "System Admin Tools" and clicking on any of the Radio (circle) buttons there) is a total God. You will use it all the time if you habe any sort of crashing and application problems.

Just a little note.

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Well...event viewer shows previous cd-rom errors (saying it has a bad block (?)) but no errors come up when I try to burn a cd. Just to be specific, the cd making wizard says "There is no disc in the drive...insert a writable CD into drive D:\," even though I know the CD is blank and compatible. :tazz:

Thanks for the quick replies.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you do a windows update since it last worked and now it does not?

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Actually, I think I did, but it was one of the "critical updates". Come to think of it, that may have been about the same time I noticed this little prob. Hmmm...good call, any ideas how to fix it? :tazz: