Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP is dead!

• Please log in to reply

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Hey all, recently i tryed to overclock my computer and in the process killed my PC, well when i say "killed" i mean stuff up WinXP. Whenever i try to boot into XP now i get an error stating "Missing or corrupted file: <systemroot>\system32\hal.dll <- missing" or something. I think somehow all my files in my win dir are deleted! Why would i think this? Well i also have a Simple MEPIS Linux installed on the same box and its set dual boot, and when i boot into Linux (Atleast i know my hardware is ok :help:) and look at my window partion i cant see any files inside the win dir like i use to. Hopefull the repair function on the CD can fix this otherwise i will have to format and i dont have the net so thats going to be hard time. I just want to know how a working XP just stops! ;) No virus nothing!!! :tazz:

Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
your computer constantly reads and writes to the harddrive....sometimes, while reading or writing, it leaves a file open or closes a file wrong, killing that file/folder.

Ntd

Ntd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Hey all its a sad day today, because i had to reformat last night. My windows partion was not recognised so my only option was to format, lost 60G of data :'( plus tones of exam notes and past exams and my exam is on tuesday nextweek. Well at least it is back up and running :tazz:. Just got a quick question, i reformatted and installed windows again, the cd came with SP1 what other security stuff should i install so i dont get any nasty. Also currently there are no programs installed is there anything i should do to improve performance like defreagging after you install and stuff, any other hints?

Also how did this happen!!! From a working copy of windows, to windows that is to corrupt to fix! All i did was shut it down normally no errors, go to bed, wake up, go to uni, come home to play steam with the bots and bam no windows!!! Will it happen again? Can i stop it?

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
How can you play with the bots!!? Gaa!!1, i cant stand that kind of play without a decent amount of people on thier typing off insults and commentaries.... and im dissapointed in you ;) ;)

Perhaps this is why you should keep two partitions of windows? one of 98 an one 2000... forget xp *shuuders*... cours my main computer is only xp ... sigh.... :tazz:

:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
go here

install all those programs before things happen and you will be in better shape.

Also, visit windows update regularly

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
install sp2