Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Router Problems

• Please log in to reply

maree1604

maree1604

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi sorry if this is in the wrong section...
My netgear router that I was given when I signed up with sky broadband has broken. Sky said a new one would be £40 which is ridiculous so I bought a belkin one elsewhere. Set it up today the router shows up on my wifi list on my phone but it doesn't ask for a password and after clicking on connect it doesn't load the Internet. Do I need to set it up on my computer to make it protected?

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello maree160

You need to set the router up on your computer in order to create a gateway, you will need your Sky SSID which will look something like SKY12345 and your Network Key which will look something like XPESFCJV.

Please note that you may need to install the software for the router before you connect it to your computer, if this is the recommended installation procedure and you do not follow it you will create problems for yourself, read any documentation provided with the belkin device carefully before you start.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes or if you have any questions.

maree1604

maree1604

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the info that's really helpful. Now you've said that it's jogged my memory from when I first got this broadband installed. I will try to do it tomorrow.
Thank you :-)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You should have been provided with an installation CD and a credit card sized card with the SSID and the Network Key on it, let us know how you get on when you are able to.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup: