Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ComboFix and Rebooting Problem / Question

• Please log in to reply

boweasel

boweasel

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My Vista 32 bit tower will ONLY boot into safe mode - normal mode shows my desktop icons for 70 seconds (I timed it) and then always brings up an IRQL Not Less Than.... BSOD (0x0a).

I used another PC to get ComboFix on the desktop of the Vista, right clicked to run as Administrator, and was (eventually - almost 5 minutes) told that root-kit activity had been detected. A few more msgs later it informed me that Rootkit Zero Access had inserted itself into the TCP/IP stack, etc...

After another minute or so a msg came up that said the PC would now reboot to continue this removal process. I let it reboot and it booted normally, but I saw no indication of ComboFix continuing, and 70 seconds later got the IRQL BSOD mentioned above.

I rebooted into safe mode again, and since there were no ComboFix processes running I reran it, went through the same msgs and this time when it rebooted I pressed F8 and booted into safe mode with networking. Nothing. No CF processes.

I then changed msconfig to always boot into safe mode with networking, and went through the process yet again. It does all the right stuff up until the reboot. Now, even though it is automatically in safe mode, nothing further happens with ComboFix after it reboots. It's been sitting there for 7 hours after ComboFix's reboot, and believe me, nothing is happening.

How do I get around this?

Advertisements

boweasel

boweasel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Never mind.... I turned the miserable UAC off, reran ComboFix in safe mode again, and when it restarted it began to run through the 50 stages. When it finished I rebooted, went into msconfig, set it to normal boot, rebooted, and now have internet connectibity and NO BSOD.

Thanks, because the link you gave me directed me to another link which ultimately gave me a page with those programs you wanted me to download. But one of the pages DID stress the importance of turning off UAC. And that's all that was necessary.