Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB sticks have gone "write protected"?

• Please log in to reply

MickB

MickB

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A couple of my USB memory sticks won't let me save anything to them (or edit anything on them) because they're "write protected". The message says Make sure the disk isn't write protected - but doesn't tell me how to do this. There isn't a manual switch on the side of the memory stick & I can't find anything under "Properties" about write protecting. Can anyone help? They were working fine yesterday.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: MickB

Have you tried the devices on another computer in case the issue is with the USB ports.
It is unlikely that both devices are full to capacity but that is one thing that can cause such issues as this.
You may need to try and recover the data from the thumb drives so here a couple of links to help http://download.cnet...4-10753287.html and http://3d2f.com/tags...sh/disk/repair/

Try Recuva first as it has a good success rate.

Please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other form of product or service offered at the links.

MickB

MickB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for reply. No, neither of those memory sticks are anything like full - they have plenty of space. I switched the computer off while I went out for a couple of hours, and now I've powered it back up again and it all seems to be working OK again.

It was Word documents I was trying to edit & save, & I'm wondering if it's something to do with Word? I've had similar problems before: computer sometimes says I don't have permission to save a Word doc in a particular folder & I have to save it somewhere else. Rebooting usually solves this, till the next time. (And no, there isn't an "administrator" except myself.)

Seems weird to me!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Yes it is odd behavior, have you installed all important updates for MS Office.