Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Post-Virus Problems

• Please log in to reply

bugs489

bugs489

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
After getting rid of the about:blank virus, my comptuer is still corrupted.
The virus is gone. The people at the Malware forum told me to post my problem here, so please don't reply and say "you still have the virus.. go to the malware forum" because i don't.

My Computer, My Network Places, and Control Panel have all been renamed to "Folder". I can rename My Comptuer and My Network Palces back to their original names.. but not Control Panel.

I'm 100% sure my shell32.dll is corrupted. Is there any way i can repair it or replace it with the one that first came with my computer?

Also.. when i double-click on a shortcut icon.. nothing happens. I have to right click it and click on open. VERY ANNOYING. ranting.gif

Plus, i get error messages on most of my programs.

This is what the error message sais onmany of them:

"Application Error.

The instruction at "0x6c371751" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memor could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program"

Add/Remove Programs doesn't work.. neither does some other applications in COntrol Panel.

HELP! helpsmilie.gif

THanks for your time and effort.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run, type
regedit
<enter>

navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell key, then look in the right pane...

what do you see?

bugs489

bugs489

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Besides (Default) there's nothing in that folder.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

download the following and install

CPL File Association Fix
Folder Association Fix (Restore default associations for File Folders)
HTM/HTML Associations (Restore the default associations for htm/html files)
Internet Explorer Desktop Icon Fix (Restore the default behavior for the Desktop IE icon)
LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior)
MSC File Association Fix (Restore default associations for MSC files)
REG File Association Fix (Restore default associations for REG files)
URL File Association Fix (Restores default associations for URL - Internet shortcuts)

could we get a screen shot?

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
How did you originally setup windows XP? Do you have an XP disk?

Somtimes running a restore can get you in trouble, especially if you have had viruses in the past and have not cleaned out your restore folder. So if you did a restore and are presently clean of viruses, you may get them back from a previous restore point.

An alternative to restoring follows :

move the i386 folder from your windows cd to the root drive.
open the cmd
navagate to the root drive /i386 folder
write : winnt32 /unattend

it would probably have to be the windows CD that came with your computer to do this, im not sure if you can do this with restoration disks from manufacturers like dell

Edited by djgotee, 05 June 2005 - 07:43 PM.

bugs489

bugs489

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the help, gerryf. My shortcuts work now! :help: .

Still problems, though. My Computer, My Network Places, and Control Panel are still renamed Folder. (screenshots included).

djgotee, at the malware forum.. my helper made me delete all of my restore points prior to getting my virus :help: . They're gone.. so.. so much for that. THanks though!

If i can replace shell32 w/ my original one.. i think that would fix my problem.
I have an HP.. so i don't have a Windows XP CD.. the recovery is built in the computer (for example.. when i start up.. it sais "press F10 to access recovery console" and i can reformat from there. ;) )

Also.. i forgot to mention these problems as well:

any javascript windows that need to pop up don't. I can't even pop up "find" in internet explorer

if i want to click on the "Review the complete topic (launches new window)" at the bottom of this reply page.. that even won't work.

I can't open "Search -- For Files or Folders" on my pc anymore.

Also.. In my Start Menu... Run is gone.. as well as anything under "Programs"

Add/Remove programs still doesn't work (SCREEN SHOT INCLUDED) .. neither does "Use Accounts"

Maybe this will help:

When i click on"user accounts" in control panel.. a blank window opens and a pop up box with a yellow exclamation point comes up and sais Automation server can't create object :tazz:

THANKS SO MUCH :help:

Attached Thumbnails

• PROB_1.jpg
  • PROB_2.jpg
  • PROB_3.jpg

Edited by bugs489, 08 June 2005 - 11:11 PM.

bugs489

bugs489

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
ANYONE?!