Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Processor Upgrade = Loud Fan?

• Please log in to reply

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hello all, recently I purchased a processor upgrade for my hp dc7100 sff computer. The original processor was a Pentium 4 3.0 ghz processor. This processor was completely quiet and almost never made noise. Today, I put in my new Pentium 4 3.8 ghz processor and the machine started to roar. Literally after every page I load, the processor goes off at full speed for about 5 seconds. It does stop, but at the rate I switch pages, this gets quite annoying. If i try to play a game as well, it goes constantly because it is a constantly demanding game. I looked into it to try to see what I could do to help. Some things have said to get new thermal paste, to update the bios, and to clean the fan out. I don't think my fan is that dirty because it was working fine before. The thermal paste did look very dried out, but if that was the problem, wouldn't the other processor be loud too? I also heard that with these type of computer/heatsink combinations, the heatsink spring screws sometimes break so the computer tries to compensate for that, but it's not a constant spin and all of my screws seem to be on just fine? When I do start my computer, it also says a message how the processor is not supported and there is a microcode update error. Can anyone help me fix this as well to see if that is the problem? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: After downloading speedfan, it says that it is running at 5400 rpm, which i believe is the highest? the temp is fluctuating from 50 C to 75 C. that sounds very high. Although these numbers are this high, the computer itself does not feel hot at all though, and i currently have the cover off. should I just remove the cpu?

Edited by howtheflip, 11 November 2012 - 09:02 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi howtheflip>
Here are the specs for your computer. Look at the list of supported CPUs, ie (Intel Celeron D 331 Processor) not just the speed, is your new CPU on the list?
> http://h18000.www1.h...stom Components

When installing/reinstalling a CPU, both the face of the heatsink and processor must be scrupulously cleaned and fresh TIM applied. Even fingerprints left behind can adversely effect heat transfer.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
As iammykyl specified, make sure to properly clean both the cpu and heatsink of the old thermal paste before applying new paste.

Also if I understood correctly you are using the same heatsink as before, a 3.8ghz cpu will run a lot hotter by default than a 3.0ghz so maybe your heatsink that worked great before will not be sufficient for your new cpu.

This is the only 3.8ghz cpu for your motherboard Intel Pentium 4 670 Processor (3.8-GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB) if yours is that model then there is no reason it should not work, just make sure the thermal paste is properly applied and that your neatsink is adequate for your new cpu.

Edited by Alzeimer, 12 November 2012 - 07:55 AM.

howtheflip

howtheflip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Okay guys, so I am 100% positive that it is the 670, so it should run fine. I have talked to other people that have used this part, but they never mentioned this loud fan and said their machine ran great, which is why i decided on the upgrade. Maybe I should buy some thermal paste and see if that helps first, as well as give the heatsink a good cleaning. Are there any other heatsinks that would work with this computer that you guys may know of in case this doesn't work?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Considering you have a Small Form Factor (sff) PC size is an issue when it comes to heatsinks.

The Scythe "BIG SHURIKEN" 3Heat Pipes CPU Cooler" is a good alternative, just make sure you have enough space in your case for it (height and width)

http://www.scythe-us...000_detail.html

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
I would leave the CPU in the socket when cleaning, just make sure to take anti static measure, use a small amount of 99% Isopropyl alcohol,
A little on a Q tip, be careful not to flood the socket. clean the bottom of the heatsink. Follw the instruction that come with the TIM.

When I do start my computer, it also says a message how the processor is not supported and there is a microcode update error.

If you are running with the original BIOS,, An update may fix this. Please be aware that updating the BIOS can cause damage.
> http://h20000.www2.h...ectID=c00007682

howtheflip

howtheflip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Thank you everyone for the advice. I got thermal compound and compressed air today and cleaned it. it is completely silent. i'll still monitor it for now and let everyone know if problems start up again.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Good to hear and happy to know it seems ok now, verify your temperatures (remember a 3.8ghz will run a lot hotter) to see if it is running properly.

In a perfect world it should be around 40 c at idle and 60 under load, expect yours to be around +50 at idle and close to +70 under load due to the fact that it is a Small Form Factor (less space and airflow inside the case)

DDMLK

DDMLK

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi howtheflip,

First of all, please disregard my PM: I didn't know that you had started a thread on this.

RE: Noisy fan - Now that I read this thread, it sounds like you installed the new CPU without applying any new thermal paste, but rather, re-used the old paste that was stuck on the heatsink. If that is the case, it is amazing that your system even managed to boot up, let alone fry your new CPU/motherboard.

Whenever you remove the CPU and/or heatsink, you should always clean all mating surfaces and apply new thermal compound.

Yes, that explains the noisy CPU fan when loading something as basic as a webpage.

Now, I did mention here: http://www.geekstogo...rd/page__st__15

My machine is now quite loud under full load, but that was to be expected, as it runs at 69C under 100% CPU use. Idle temp is the same as before (and just as quiet), and this is fine with me.

So there you go, you can expect temperatures close to 70C under full load, but you don't want it any higher than that. From memory, the T-junction on this CPU is 70.6C, so anything over that will see your CPU get throttled by the BIOS to allow it a chance to cool down.

As for the heatsink, on this model HP, it seems to be a common heatsink across the entire CPU range all the way up to 3.8GHz, but since you seem to have gotten things under control, then I'd recommend you just leave it at that.

You can use HWiNFO to check your CPU temperatures. I would actually be interested to see what temperatures you get under full load as I may have to re-seat my heatsink using a different thermal compound - I just used some thermal compound from our development department at work, which is not really specific for high temperature CPU's, we only use it on some chip-based amplifier PCAs.

EDIT: BTW, you might be interested in this since your other threads about PSU capacities. I bought a power meter to measure some of our appliances' power consumption, and under full CPU load and high GPU load (GeForce Silent N210), my PSU seems to put out around 200W of power to run. It's a bit on the high side, but we don't run it at 100% CPU for hours on end anymore as we now do our video encoding on a couple of i5's in a fraction of the time.

Edited by DDMLK, 14 November 2012 - 10:46 AM.

howtheflip

howtheflip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
DDMLK, it is good to hear from you again. I do not remember the exact brand I purchased for thermal compound, but it was only 7 bucks or so at Staples, but I am not home to check. This is a new topic for me so I don't know if there are better types of compound that may help. And it is good to hear that your machine is not coming close to the power limit, considering I have the more power hungry radeon 6570 in my machine. Although, this graphics card never peaks 30% load and my processor never usually peaks above 80%. I also removed my diskette and floppy drives, like you did, so hopefully my machine remains in the clear. The last thing I will do to my machine is upgrade the RAM to the maximum speed possible. I'll probably give more benchmarks in regards to the games I play considering i used to average 6-20 frames with a cpu and gpu upgrade, 30-60 frames with the gpu upgrade, and I have not tried with the cpu upgrade as well. With the RAM being the last part, I will do one final update, even if RAM is not that effective on frames.