Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bluetooth disappeared from ASUS Laptop

• Please log in to reply

catholatho

catholatho

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,
I am using an ASUS Pro59L Notebook, Vista 32bit. I rarely use the bluetooth function but have sucessfully in the past to transfer files between a mobile phone and my laptop. It has an inbuilt wireless adapter. Today I went to use it for the first time in months and I could not get my phone to pickup the laptop. I went to Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Bluetooth Devices and tried to open Bluetooth settings but it would not open. I then went to Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Device Manager and looked for a bluetooth device but there is nothing there.

Next step was ASUS website where I downloaded the bluetooth driver Version V5.2.800. When I tried to install it it came up with this message:

No bluetooth device was detected. Please make sure that your bluetooth device is plugged in properly in order to continue installation.

Yes, well I knew that! So I guess a driver is not what I need; I need to get the device back.

Any help greatly appreciated thanks.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,960 posts
Hi catholato,

I'm sorry you had to wait so long for a reply to this thread. If this is the same computer you had trouble downloading and installing Windows Updates on that you posted about here I would say it is due to the corrupted files found when you ran sfc /scannow. Unfortunately, since you have performed a repair install I'm not sure the CBS logs would still be intact for me to see if a replacement file could be found.

To get the Bluetooth Device back, and your system running the way you liked it, I would back everything up that you wanted to save, and restore back to factory condition by tapping the F9 key on reboot and following the onscreen instructions from there. Doing the repair install did delete the previous licensing store (where the activation data is stored). Restoring to factory condition should recreate that on it's own during the process of restoring.

Once complete, and from my experience with ASUS, you should be able to access the Recovery Manager to create recovery disks and I would also clone the drive with a program such as Macrium Reflect once it is customized to the way you want it, that way if this ever happens again you have an identical clone of the drive and you can restore to as is if it ever becomes corrupt again.

And as I stressed in your other thread, please, do not use registry cleaners at ANY time. I feel confidant to say that this is the cause of the corruption that you are experiencing. If you are not experienced enough to identify the entries being removed/cleaned, they shouldn't be removed/cleaned from the registry.

Donna :ph34r:

Edited by DonnaB, 14 November 2012 - 10:06 PM.

catholatho

catholatho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks so much, I'll try all that and will definitely not use any registry cleaners again!
Cheers
Cath