Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Laptop "applying update operation x of x"...

• Please log in to reply

jayjay23

jayjay23

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi people,

Hope you can help explain what is going on with my laptop. Got a new Win 7 64, Intel Core i3, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD about 1 week ago.

Last night I clicked shut down, and closed the lid. Assuming it would shutdown normally.
This morning I opened the lid and before pressing anything the screen woke up and displayed "configuring windows features 55% do not turn off your computer"...

It didn't go past 55% and then it shut down.

So I pressed POWER ON.
I was then presented with "applying update operation 5177 of 245847 (program_files_misc...)" (the left number obviously increasing as it runs).
This lasted about 20 mins.
Then the windows startup sound made the usual noise.
Then... "configuring windows features 100% do not turn off your computer" (started at zero, reached 100% after 6 mins)

Then the desktop opened and seems normal, but slow.

Any thoughts on why this happened?

Thanks

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi jayjay23,
If you haven't seen that before then it can be a little disconcerting. However what you have said is quite normal and is just Windows carrying out its normal updating (you have Windows Update set to automatic)
Nothing to be overly concerned about
Regards
paws

jayjay23

jayjay23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ok thanks but 245,000 seems like a lot of update operations to be happening! WOW! Think I'll turn it off!

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
HiJayjay23,
:thumbsup:
Just remember though, that when it says "do not turn off your computer etc...." it really means it....
A proportion of our workshop annual expenditure is well covered by folks who disregard it.... when we have to put it all to rights again!
Be safe
Regards
paws

jayjay23

jayjay23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Just to confirm, I didn't shut it down, it shut itself down.
And to further add to this here is what happened next. At the next shut down and subsequent boot up I was faced with the disk check which took forever. Then the OS didn't load. All I got was a black screen with a cursor. Recovery disk attempts and trying to access the bios were futile. In the end I took it back to the shop. They said the hard drive was faulty and replaced the machine.

Thanks again for the replies.