Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop running awfully slow at a certain time [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Is that the complete Eset online scan log ? Please check it again...

Quick easy way to open it would be via:-

Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Run..., (or depress the Windows Key & R together to bring up the run box) then copy/paste the following command into the box and click on OK:

C:\Program Files (x86)/ESET/ESET Online Scanner\log.txt

Advertisements

RatsRunThisTown

RatsRunThisTown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yeah what I posted above is the complete log that was saved to my computer :|

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Yeah what I posted above is the complete log that was saved to my computer :|

Hmmm, OK carry out the below for myself first please then re-run the online scan again as outlined exactly in post #14...in turn post the log again etc.

TFC(Temp File Cleaner):

• Please download TFC to your desktop,
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close all open application windows.
  • Right-click on TFC.exe and select Run as Administrator to run the program.
  • Click the Start button in the bottom left of TFC
  • If prompted, click "Yes" to reboot.
Note: Save your work. TFC will automatically close any open programs, let it run uninterrupted. It should not take longer than a couple of minutes , and may only take a few seconds. Only if needed will you be prompted to reboot.

RatsRunThisTown

RatsRunThisTown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hey guys I did exactly the same as the post in 14, but after the reboot, it didn't automatically load up a new log. Where would I find this log? :)

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
See post #16. :)

RatsRunThisTown

RatsRunThisTown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

See post #16. :)

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
OnlineScanner64.ocx - registred OK
OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK
esets_scanner_update returned -1 esets_gle=53251
esets_scanner_update returned -1 esets_gle=53251
esets_scanner_update returned -1 esets_gle=0

That's all the log states. And that was with the instructions followed exactly (regarding ticket the correct boxes on the ESET scanner)

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

That's all the log states. And that was with the instructions followed exactly (regarding ticket the correct boxes on the ESET scanner)

It may just be the scanner does not like your system, it happens from time to time. So we will merely try a alternative as follows...

Panda Online Scan:

Use Internet Explorer for the below please...

Windows 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the IE in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.

Now please go here to run Panda's ActiveScan

• Once you are on the Panda site, click the Scan your PC now button
  • A new window will open...select the option Quick scan then click on the Scan Now button <-- Allow all the UAC(User Access Control prompts)
  • Allow the ActiveX control to be installed. It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan. Note: This may take a couple of minutes
  • Run the ActiveX control, if requested. The screen will then show the scanning progress - the scan will take a while to finish. Please be patient.
  • When the scan has finished, click on Export To
  • Save the file as Activescan.txt to your Desktop
  • Close the Activescan window then go to your Desktop
  • Double-click on Activescan.txt and it will open in Notepad
  • In Notepad, click Edit > Select all, then Edit > Copy
  • Reply to this thread and click Ctrl+V to paste the log in your reply

RatsRunThisTown

RatsRunThisTown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Done :)

;***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
ANALYSIS: 2012-11-21 21:19:57
PROTECTIONS: 1
MALWARE: 1
SUSPECTS: 0
;***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
PROTECTIONS
Description Version Active Updated
;===================================================================================================================================================================================
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 Yes Yes
;===================================================================================================================================================================================
MALWARE
Id Description Type Active Severity Disinfectable Disinfected Location
00139061 Cookie/Doubleclick TrackingCookie No 0 Yes No c:\users\steve\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\cookies\low\hezzdepj.txt
SUSPECTS
Sent Location
VULNERABILITIES
Id Severity Description

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

The results of the online scan are good and all that has been detected is a tracking cookie which will be purged when you clean out temp files etc and or you can opt to keep TFC(Temp File Cleaner)/run it once or twice a week say to remove the aforementioned.

Any further issues remaining ? If not we will clean up all tools used during the Malware Removal process and I will provide some advice about online safety etc.

RatsRunThisTown

RatsRunThisTown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
It seems to be running fine again now thank you very much for your help :)

I can even log into Youtube again.

Thanks for all your time and patience helping me with this frustrating problem

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

It seems to be running fine again now thank you very much for your help :)

Good and you're most welcome.

Congratulations your computer appears to be malware free!

Now I have some tasks for your good self to carry out as part of a clean up process and some advice about online safety.

Importance of Regular System Maintenance:

I advice you read both of the below listed topics as this will go a long way to keeping your Computer performing well.

Help! My computer is slow!

Also so is this:

What to do if your Computer is running slowly

Clean up with OTC:

Please download OTC and save it to desktop.

• Right-click on OTC.exe and select Run as Administrator to start the program..
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • Select Yes when the "Begin cleanup Process?" prompt appears.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.
The above process should also clean up and remove the vast majority of scanners used and logs created etc.

Any left over merely delete yourself and empty the Recycle Bin.

Reset the System Restore points:

Create a new, clean System Restore point:-

• Right click on Computer and select Properties >> System protection >> Create.
  • Give this restore point a descriptive name and click Create.
  • When the new restore point is created click on OK >> close the System properties window.
Note: Do not clear infected/old System Restore points before creating a new System Restore point first!

Flush Old System Restore points:-

• Next click Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Run (or the Windows key and R together) to bring up the Run box and and copy and paste in:
    cleanmgr
  • in the box and press OK.
  • Select the system drive, C >> OK.
  • Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
  • Click on Clean up system files >> Select the system drive, C >> OK.
  • Now click on the More Options tab.
  • Under:-
  • System Restore and Shadow Copies
  • Click on Clean up... >> Delete >> OK >> Delete Files.
Now some advice for on-line safety:

Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware:

This is a excellent application and I advise you keep this installed. Check for updates and run a scan once a week.

Other installed security software:

Your presently installed security application, AVG 2012 automatically checks for updates and downloads/installs them with every system reboot and or periodically if the machine is left running providing a internet connection is active.

I advise you also run a complete scan with this also once per week.

Erunt:

Emergency Recovery Utility NT, I advice you keep this installed as a means to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.

Myself I would actually create a new back up once per week as this along with System Restore may prove to be invaluable if something unforeseen occurs!

Keep your system updated:

Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly:

• Click on Start(Windows 7Orb) >> All Programs >> Windows Update.
  • In the navigation pane, click Check for updates.
  • After Windows Update has finished checking for updates, click View available updates.
  • Click to select the check box for any found, then click Install.
  • When completed Reboot(restart) your computer if not prompted to do so.
Be careful when opening attachments and downloading files:

Never open email attachments, not even if they are from someone you know. If you need to open them, scan them with your antivirus program before opening.
Never open emails from unknown senders.
Beware of emails that warn about viruses that are spreading, especially those from antivirus vendors. These email addresses can be easily spoofed. Check the antivirus vendor websites to be sure.
Be careful of what you download. Only download files from known sources. Also, avoid cracked programs. If you need a particular program that costs too much for you, try finding free alternatives on Sourceforge or Pricelessware.

Stop malicious scripts:

Windows by default allow scripts (which is VBScript and JavaScript) to run and some of these scripts are malicious. Use Noscript by Symantec or Script Defender by AnalogX to handle these scripts.

Avoid Peer to Peer software:

P2P may be a great way to get lots of seemingly freeware, but it is a great way to get infected as well. There's no way to tell if the file being shared is infected. Worse still, some worms spread via P2P networks, infecting you as well. My advice is avoid these types of software applications.

Hosts File:

A Hosts file is like a phone book. You look up someone's name in the phone book before calling him/her. Similarly, your computer will look up the website's IP address before you can view the website.

Hosts file will replace your current Hosts file with another one containing well-known advertisement sites, spyware sites and other bad sites. This new Hosts file will protect you by re-directing these bad sites to 127.0.0.1.

Here are some Hosts files:

Only use one of the above!

Consider installing WinPatrol:

WinPatrol alerts you about possible system hijacks, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission.

Download it from here.

You can find information about how WinPatrol works here.

Next:

This is a very helpful/useful set of advice from Microsoft: Microsoft Safety & Security Center

Any questions? Feel free to ask, if not stay safe!

RatsRunThisTown

RatsRunThisTown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Done and done. Thanks very much for all your kind work and time helping me out :)

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.