Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't remove Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise (VSE) 3.6.0

• Please log in to reply

Alex143

Alex143

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have Windows Vista (Professional), and the updater stopped working. I read in another forum that I need to completely remove Mcafee, which I am having a really hard time with.

(So the real issue is that the Windows Update Installer is malfunctioning, but it seems that McAfee still being on my system is hindering fixing the installer issue...I'm not sure if this information is relevant. There are upwards of 30 updates pending, and every time I start my computer, a window pops up shortly after informing me that the Windows Installer stopped working and will be closed. When I try to install updates when the computer is on, it stays at the first one (2%) and doesn't progress no matter how long the computer is on. When I try to shut down the computer, it gets stuck at the "Installing updates" blue screen, and remains at "installing 1 of 36 updates." It can stay this way for days unless I force-shut it down. When I turn it back on, it stays at the screen where it processes updates, at 0% though, for about 5 minutes, and then skips this without going through all the steps.)

I have already uninstalled everything McAfee-related from the Add/Remove menu in Control Panel. I then DLed the removal tool, and have tried running in in regular AND in safe modes, but it gives me the same error message: "Enterprise software detected. See log file for more details."

I really appreciate any assistance/guidance! I'm really quite lost at this point, and am at the point of reinstalling windows...

Thanks!

Alex

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Alex143,

Welcome to Geeks to go! :happy:

I'm sorry that you had to wait so long for a reply to your thread.

Have you found a solution for removing this program? If not, please follow the instructions I found in the link below and let me know if you have success. If you do, see if you can get those updates installed there after. Please post back to keep me informed to your progress.

Manual Removal Of VirusScan Enterprise

Donna :)