Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing digital camera

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
When installing digital camera the process ended with these words:
now plug in your digitial camera to the USB port and installation will continue automatically.

I did this on my Win XP using the ports in the back of the tower as my front ports one tech told me were not correct version for my camera. The minute the connection was made with the USB port, there was a very loud crack of noise and my PC promptly went down! It would NOT boot up again - was completely shut off. Was horrified thinking must have blown the motherboard. I checked all connections, waited for a period of time and then tried to boot up and lo and behold it did so! Can find no evidence so far of anything wrong program wise as yet.

Am left wondering what happened, what I might have done wrong, and am afraid to use the camera at all with the PC now.

Anyone have any ideas for me or future procedures to use/be aware of? :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Do you know what motherboard you have (make & model)?
If not, download everest from here :
http://majorgeeks.co...tion_d4181.html

Run it & look up the motherboard details for me.

Also, were there any other USB devices connected at the time?

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
You could try booting it up with the Cam pluged in.

SP2 is a booger sometimes :tazz:

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Samm: Motherboard ID = 08/22/2002-P4X266E-8235-6A^LW001C-00
Name = VIARAMA U8788

And to OneCool - gee I thought of that but am afraid to try anything now.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Sorry forgot to addd that I have 3 usb ports in a row and one is taken up with the DSL Modem

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

When you say 3 in a row, do you mean on the rear of the case? If so, it's very unusual to have an odd number of usb ports. I've been looking at the mobo manual for your board & you have 2 usb (on on top of the other) with a network cable socket above them at the top.

Are you sure your DSL modem isn't actually connected via network cable, instead of USB?

Can you try something for me? Have a quick look inside the case if you can. You may need a spot light or torch (sorry, flashlight - if Audioboy's reading this) and have a look at the following :

Your front panel USB - there should be one or two thickish cables that run from the inside of the case front to the mobo, they should connect at the ports on the mobo marked JUSB4 and JUSB3. (bottom right hand corner of board). If you don't see these cables, then look for a bunch of thin coloured cables that run to these ports instead. Each wire should be coloured either black, red, white or green.

Verify that these are connected to the headers marked JUSB3 & JUSB4 and the individual coloured wires are in the following order : red, white, green, black

Next, look for a jumper header (3 pins with a small plastic cap covering 2 of them) in the top left corner, directly below where the rear USB ports are located on the inside. This is marked JUSBV1. The jumper will either be covering pins 1-2 or 2-3. Pin 1 being the one at the top. Let me know what position this jumper is in.

NB Do not touch or disturb anything on or connected to the mobo whilst doing this, and make sure you have disconnected the power first obviously!

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Gee thanks for your reply - will type it out and see what I can do re your instructions. May not get to it tonight as I have to start work tomorrow from semester break (trying time) and have several early dr. appoints. in the AM (work at night) so may be a bit before I can do this as I am not used to going inside the PC and want to make sure I follow your instructions to the letter so I can find out just what happened here. Again thanks for your support.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome. If you can't understand any of the instructions when you go to do it, just ask.
The system info you posted did not give the motherboard manufacturers name so I had to google the model number. I am hoping therefore, that I have given you instructions for the right motherboard!

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Again thanks for following through-really appreciate the support. Looked at my motherboard booklet and as far as I can tell it is a Maxtor. Does that give you any info re manufacturer? Booklet is not all that clear around who made what or at least have not found it yet:)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It definately won't be Maxtor, they only make hard drives & drive controllers. I reckon its a Biostar board personally, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow when my instructions will either make absolutely no sense in reference to your board or they will correlate exactly!

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

You may need a spot light or torch (sorry, flashlight - if Audioboy's reading this)

yeah yeah, Im a w*nker. :tazz:
theres that dry humor I love!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

yeah yeah, Im a w*nker. ;)
theres that dry humor I love!

View Post

I'm not saying anything :tazz:

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Just rereading your replies Samm and you are corret - am just now learning about the tech part of my PC so forgive the some times off the wall comments I make. The one is a modem connector and it is an ethernet cord (yellow) which goes from the PC to the DSL modem. The other two ports are USB I would guess - but they all look alike to me so supposed they were all USB.

I have a tech who just worked on my PC putting in a new power fan. Due to the configuration of my tower, he had to pull out all 'the guts' in order to get the power supply out. When he put them back I believe he did something wrong because soon as I got hom, the PC would not recognize any of the disk drives nor would it boot up at all - hung at the windows logon screen. Strange to say, however, in the AM at first boot I could get onto my desktop. But forget the rest of the day if had to reboot for any reason - then it would hang at the log on sceen and go no further. Sometimes if I did an CAD it would go to safe mode and then just hang there regardless of the option chosen. And could not get have unless I did I guess you would say a "hot boot off"?. When I got the tech back out here, he claimed that there were jumpers that were not connected correctly and looked as though they had been that way from day one when the PC system was built. Well, if that was so could not understand why I did not have the same problems before he worked on my PC. He had no answer for that. I suspect now maybe he forgot to do something or connect something in error and was too embarrassed to admit it. To compound my suspicions he refused to charge me for the house call which ordinarily is $70. But despite that situation am now wondering if there is something else he did/did not do around my PC when he dismantled it to put in the new power fan and supply. Don't know if this tells you anymore about my situation, but this experience has prompted me to learn my PC so I can at least argue with techs and check their work.:tazz: Now half afraid to do anything along that line until I know more about what happened here.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, you probably should have mentioned all this at the beginning but I also appreciate that you probably didn't think it was relevant.

The tech has obviously done something wrong. You are absolutely right, if the jumpering was always incorrect, you would have had a problem before this point.

Now that you have told me all this, I think that we ought to work on the assumption that there is still stuff thats wrongly connected. There may not be of course but as USB connections are extremely important to get right & can damage your board if wrong, then I think this would be the safest option.

Firstly, DO NOT connect any USB devices to your system at the moment, or firewire ones either.

I do really need you to look inside the case though.
I'm gonna start by asking you to just familiarize yourself with the layout of the motherboard before we actually do anything else.

This is a slightly reworking of my previous instructions :

1) Switch Computer off & unplug the power cord
2) open up the case.
3) I want you to locate & make a note of each of the following things on the motherboard. (Please don't touch anything apart from the drive or power cabling if you need to move it out the way. If so, do not disconnect any cables, just gently move it enough to see the motherboard more clearly)

Bottom right corner of board - immediately to the right of the top PCI slot, look for sets of metal pins, each set should look something like this :
o o o o
o o o o o

There should be 2 sets, one labelled JUSB3 and one called JUSB4. They may or may not have cables attached to them (in which case of course, the actual pins will be invisible but the labelling will still be there)

I need to know if they have cables connected to them or not.
If they do have cables, I need to know whether its a single thick cable with a plastic plug at the end or whether there are individual wires - each with its own tiny plastic plug on the end. (each wire will be either red,white,green or black)

Directly below JUSB3 & JUSB4, you should see 2 lots of 3 pin headers. Two of the pins should be covered by a plastic cap.
They should look something like this with these names next to them :

JUSBV4 JUSBV5
[ o o ] o [ o o ] o

where [oo] is 2 pins covered by cap, and 'o' is bare.

Let me know if both have caps to the left or the right
ie as above or o [ o o ]

Next, look in top left corner of board, to the left of the cpu socket. There should be another of these sets of pins like the last ones, called JUSBV1
This one is vertical instead of horizontal ie.
o
o
o
I need to know if the cap covering it is over the top 2 pins or the bottom 2 pins.

Last thing to check, is bottom left corner/edge of board. There is 2 sets of pins which will look identical to the first 2 sets (ie JUSB4 & JUSB4) but these will be called J1394A1 and J1394B1.
There may be another a bit further along called J1394C1 as well.

I need to know if you can find all 3 & if any have cables connected to them.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
What a wealth of good info - have typed it all out and will try to get to it this weekend. Am so caught up in work right now - classes have started - that can't think too much or worry about the PC right now. I have called the old tech back because it is his responsibility to fix whatever he did wrong and I already have paid him for the work. It really is sad because this man used to be a very good and responsible tech - guess his personal problems about which I know a little have finally gotten to him. He seems to have become careless, overwhelmed and just not clicking on all computer fours.:tazz:

So will let you know what he says/does and I plan to challenge him about the power supply being correct and particularly about the voltage coming from the power supply to various elements etc.

May I ask one question before I get too deeply committed toward going in a different direction here? If all this for some reason develops into a costly affair or I god forbid have to consider a new PC - which is best to think about - a PC from a company with demands of what I want or a private person to build the PC?

This old tech built this PC that I have now and for quite some time it functioned quite well and did so under his care. But times and things are different now.

And once again do appreciate your hanging in on this thread to help me reach some point of stablization around my PC. Really very thoughtful of you.