Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing digital camera

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok slow down a minute...don't go ripping into the tech until we know whats actually wrong.
I agree that if it was incorrectly jumpered to start with, then theres no reason why that should suddenly become a problem now particulary.
Its not clear from your post whether the tech who told you it was wrongly jumpered from the start, is the same tech that built the PC originally?!

Also, assuming I do have you mobo make correct (ie biostar p4x266) then all the USB ports are version 2.0. This means that he was wrong about the front ports being the wrong version. Using the rear ports in preference to the front is recommended anyway, as the front ports tend to suffer more problems.

The noise you heard when you connected the camera to the usb port, was possibly the fuse blowing (the rear ports are individually fused).

I don't think there is a problem or issue with the PSU though. The voltages supplied by the psu are fixed, not anything the tech could have changed.

The reason I'm asking you to check the connections etc that I've specified previously, is to ensure nothing inside (eg USB & firewire headers) is incorrectly connected. Because both USB/Firewire are powered connections, hooking them up wrong can cause obvious problems upto & including physical damage to the mobo.

Re. your last query about new PC etc...
Firstly, your system is still currently working. The worst case scenario would be a new motherboard but you should be able to keep everything else, so this won't be as expensive as a new system by a long way.

If you do want to replace the entire system (either now or in the future), theres a couple of things to be aware of, re. custom built/private/company etc

1.Personally, I would recommend a custom build from a private tech. (I'm probably bias though as thats one of the things I do myself). BUT they must be very good at what they do. Too many people throw PCs together on the basis that they 'know what they're doing'. Assembling components is easy but selecting ones which are 100% compatible together, getting them all to work together smoothly & fixing it when they don't, is a whole different skill that takes years to learn.

But if the tech is good, then you will get a far more personal & flexible service than you would from a company.

2. If you buy from a company, even if you have some say over the components, do not buy anything unless they are prepared to state exactly which components are being used.
EG the motherboard in particular. A lot of companies tend to use cheap boards that have integrated graphics, audio, lan, modem etc. This means you are stuck with whatever is built into the board. Although any integrated components may be disabled & off-boards ones added to replace them, you normally only get a couple of PCI slots with these boards, which limits your upgrade possibilities.

Also, these boards may not be upgradeable in terms of CPU etc. ie if the board is already running the fastest CPU it can handle.

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Weekend is fast approaching. Can't wait until it is here so I can try your instructions. Also I have decided to try to get this tech that did the recent repair to follow through and visit again to see what conclusions he can come to. After all I have paid him for the service and seemingly have had problems ever since so feel it is his responsibility to correct same - or at least look at the PC to see just what did occur that produced the big Bang:)

I realize PCs and their world are very complicated so not into jumping all over anyone just resolving the problems - why be part of it. After I feel this tech has done all he can and things seem resolved, I plan to change techs and find one that is much more accessible, better organized, and has less personal problems that seem to be interfering with his business.

Don't work on Fridays so plan to UNPLUG the PC:) and turn the little dear on its side and take your instructions to see if I can follow them through for answers for you. Keep you posted.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, good luck

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Samm: My old tech came today and this is what I learned. Would appreciate your opinion of the following information:

The Story:

Tech came today and after much work both on camera and PC this is what he came up with.

I originally had him build the PC for me back in 2002. At that time he had several people (techs) working for him in his business. Unbeknowns to me he had one of these techs build my PC. It seems this tech not only did a couple of the jumper pins wrong but also had trouble with the USB ports on the motherboard. So instead of getting another MB, he put in a USB board which is really NOT needed for my configuration.

I have 7 USB ports. The two in front do not work at all and never have, two in lower back of tower do work and the upper two did work until I plugged in the camera. So the problem seems to have been the camera shorted out the upper two USB ports due to the problem with the MB and the USB card that was put in. Tech said that my PC did not need a USB card if the MB had been properly configured or another type MB put in. As it is now the MB does not support all the USB ports.

Tech fixed it up so that three USB ports are working and supporting my camera, mouse and printer. He looked up what he feels is an excellent USB card to put in to use the other 4 USB ports rather than my investing in a new MB.

My tech voice anger at the tech that was working for him at the time my PC was built but now no longer works for him. My tech said he planned to talk to the worker who built my PC and voice his displeasure and find out more about why the situation was done the way it was and the customer was not informed about it.

My tech spent over two hours working on my PC and charged me half price for his time. He also said if I got the USB card he showed me online that he would come out and install it so I would have use of the front two ports of my PC as well as two more in the back.

I am sure confronting the tech that built my PC would not gain me anything monetarily since I already confronted him about the XP Windows disk he gave me WITHOUT the code to use. He flatly refused to give me the code unless I gave him $200 for it. I called my tech and he was upset about the situation and came and gave me a disk with a code that would work if I needed to reformat, reinstall Windows XP.

So confronting this tech that built my PC might gain me emotional satisfaction but I am sure nothing else. Am not sure I want the stress at this point since I am overwhelmed with other matters right now. Need to think about it but if my anger builds to a certain point I might just confront him in person.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmmm, thats interesting.

The front 2 ports normally connect to usb headers on the mobo. There should be a cable that runs inside the case from the front panel to the mobo. This cable has to be manually plugged in to the board. Some cases use a single cable with a keyed connector that only fits in one way. Others however, have individual connectors for each wire in the usb cable. It is possible to connect these in any order at all, although the wrong order will result in the usb not working or worse, damage the board.

The only jumpers related to usb headers are usually only ones to select the voltage (either 5V or 5VSB). I suspect what the tech who built the system couldn't figure out, was how to connect the wires up to the header, as opposed to a jumper issue. I can't understand however, why this would render some of the USB ports useless now, given that your old tech would have corrected this, unless they have been damaged by his employee connecting it up wrongly.

You said that you have 7 USB ports in total, and now 3 of those 7 work. Can you tell me which ones are working (ie there location) because its really unusual to have an odd number of ports. By design, they come in pairs (except a few older laptops which only had 1 port).

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
From what I can tell there are two ports on the front of the PC, two ports on the upper back of the tower - these four right now are not working.

Then there are two ports on the lower back of the tower and the seventh is maybe not a port but a way my tech set it up so I could have three working ports.

The two ports on the lower back are now used by the printer and my camera cord. The other port is inside on the motherboard. The tech took out a piece of the tower and ran the optical mouse cord through this opening and plugged it into a port on the MB as far as I can see.

I hesitate now to try to do anything about examining my PC when it is set up as such. Would rather wait until I get a USB card and it is installed so that the mouse is not half in and half out of the tower on the MB port.

Hope I made myself clear. Sure is a chore trying to describe things about PCs in a forum/email.

My tech said he felt his former empoyee when he built this PC had a problem with the MB and USB ports and rather than take the time/effort to resolve it just put in a USB card and did not correctly configure the ports. The front two USB ports have NEVER worked and a friend who supposedly knows something about PCs said he thought the ports were the wrong version for my camersa. This my tech said was not correct and not a legitimate answer to my problems.

So am going to ride this out until I can get another USB card, my tech recommending a SIIG USB 2.05-Port PCI and carry on from there. As soon as that is installed and things more normal would still like to follow your instructions to examine and learn more about my PC from the inside out. Sure have learned a great deal from all of this so all has not been lost. If I ever have another PC built in far future will surely make different demands and know what to check for now. Intend to benefit rather than bewail my fate and lot:) And I do not have to replace a MB - that is a plus in all of this.

Again sure do appreciate your attention to this thread, your ideas and suggestions and will keep you posted as things occur. Not sure when I will get the USB card - may be some time so not sure where this thread will be by then or how long they remain on a forum. If unable to locate should a new one be started?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi nondaj

I don't like the sound of the usb mouse being connected internally to the mobo! I'm not certain exactly what the tech has done, so I may be wrong here, but if the mouse's usb plug is still attached (ie not cut off), then this is a chunk of metal thats inside your computer. Be careful therefore not to pull the mouse & dislodge the connection, as doing so may cause the metel plug to make contact with some other part of the board. This, as I'm sure you are aware, could be fatal.

As for the usb not working due to it being the wrong version for your usb device, this shouldn't matter. There two versions of USB (USBv1.1 & v2.0) are both compatible with each other. The only difference is that unless the USB controller (mobo) & the usb device are both v2.0, then the device will only operate at full speed (12MBPS) as opposed to High-speed (480MBPS).

Thank you for your full explainations of what has been happening. Its nice to get all the details for a change. And yes, please keep me up-to-date on what occurs in the future, but as you suggested, start a new thread to avoid any confusion.

Good luck with everything

Regards
Samm

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Replying fast so may not need another thread. Have found a tech who turns out to be a friend as well as a good tech so can trust him. He is back in town now and when I ran my problem by him + the recommendations of the old tech, he like you was unacomfortable with 'everything' particularly the solution to the problem.

He felt it was putting a bandaid on a situation rather than correcting it. He said the situation was not right from the 'gitgo' and should be corrected rather than just adding to the problems. He can get me a new motherboard at cost since he is in the business now and that is the way we are going. I feel very comfortable with this resolution. Tomorrow my friend will be here to look over my setup to make sure he gets the right MB and check all connections etc.

So will continue to keep you posted and hope my new post on a new thread will be one of good news and happing computing! :tazz:

Hope you concur with this latest event? And I will continue to learn my PC from the inside after the stress dies down a bit.

Donna

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Donna

Thats good news, your new tech sounds much better & seems to know what he's doing. I suggest you stick to using him from now on!

If there's ever anything you want to ask though, either as a second opinion or if you don't want to bother your friend about it, just let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Good luck with it & keep us posted.

Samm

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
;) Certainly will do! And if I do have further hardware issues will be back :tazz: And will let you know the outcome of all ;)

Donna

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
New tech was here and shook his head in dismay. Said the MB was just not giving correct info to PC so that is why I am having so many "piddly" problems. Hopefully once a new motherboard is in and CORRECTLY installed and configured, I will have a PC that WORKS instead of giving me constant problems all the time.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, cool.
When the tech installs the new board, ask him to write down the make & model of the motherboard for you. That way if you ever have any problems or queries with your new system, you can let us know exactly what mobo you have. This info is often extremely helpful to us!

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Will do and do you have an 'druthers' as to the best make of MB to buy?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Stay clear of pcchips & other mobos that have a lot of integrated devices (eg sound/vga/lan/modem). These tend to be poorer quality with few pci slots & limited upgrade options. Nearly all new mobos have integrated audio but this is fine. Stay away from integrated vga etc.

Makes such as Soltek, Intel, Abit, Asus, MSI, gigabyte, aopen are all OK. Just check on the boards upgradability in regards to CPU/RAM etc as well as expansion slots etc.
If you narrow down your search to a few choosen boards, just google them & see if there are any major issues or compatibility problems with them.

Failing that, just post the boards make/model on here & ask if anyone knows or has any experience of these particular motherboards.

Hope this helps a bit.

Samm

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thanks very much for your ideas and input - will keep in mind as we progress on with this old PC:)