Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Geforce 8800 GT problem

• Please log in to reply

johnny15

johnny15

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi all :D
i have a problem and i thought you guys might be able to help:D
During a game of nba 2k13 my screen froze for a few seconds, the colors changed(became corrupted) and I had to restart the computer. I repeated the same process 2,3 times but I had the same result. Then when I restarted my pc on the bios screen you could see many dots that had covered the screen. After this the computer started normaly until the desktop screen. Then I checked the device manager and saw the following message: “windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems code 43”.( When I went to screen resolution I saw “default monitor” and not the name of my graphics card as I expected.) After a search in google I found that the problem was the soldering of my graphics card, and the only way that could help was baking it in the oven! Or heating it up with a hot air gun.
I don’t know if those methods work, that’s why I wanted to ask for a second opinion, do these solutions worth trying?
my pc specs are:

PC SPECIFICATIONS
CPU : Intel Core Quad Q6600
Motherboard: IP35 PRO
RAM: 2GB Ram DDR2 Dual channel x400MHz
Graphics Card: Geforce 8800GT
PSU : Coolermaster 650W (I think)
Operating System: Windows 7 32Bit
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 2032BW 20’’
HDD1 : Sata II 320GB Seagate
HDD2: 1ΤΒ Western Digital

Some photos from the problem

Attached Thumbnails

• Bios2.JPG
  • device manager error.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: johnny15

First off see if it is a driver issue http://support.micro...evice_problems/

Have you tried booting into safe mode.

Apart from a failing video card and driver problems heat and a bad PSU can also cause these issues.

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
forgot to mention that i have downloaded the latest drivers and bios update...
cleaned my video card from dust too(i don't know if that's enough though)
i ll check the rest and reply later..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:thumbsup:

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
*Fix it didnt work :/
*I restarted in safe mode but i got only this message at device manager
"Status is not available for this device when Windows is running in Safe Mode"
The weird thing is that I see those dots only at startup screen in bios,
then everything is ok.I log in to windows normally but it's like i dont have drivers installed
like safe mode or something.I don't know why this is happening it feels like the video card goes to safe mode...
don't know what to say :P

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
done boss :D
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25134676
i'll print the screens in case you encounter any problem..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the url johnny15 :thumbsup:

From the test results we can clearly see that the card and card drivers are recognized by Windows and that the error code (43) is also present, as the issue occurs in the BIOS it points more to a problem with the card or the cards MB settings and not the cards drivers as the BIOS chip does not use them.

Has the computer ever been over-clocked.

Couple of things for you to do please;

1: In case the card is conflicting with another device can you please follow the guidance below that I have copy/paste from Nvidea, tap the key that is appropriate for accessing your BIOS;

To enter the system BIOS for most PC’s, you need to repeatedly click the “F1” or “Del” key on your keyboard as soon as you turn on your computer until it brings you to the system BIOS. If this does not bring you to your system BIOS, consult your motherboard manufacturer or system manufacturer for more information. Once inside of the system BIOS, search for the option “Assign IRQ to VGA”. Check that this option is enabled and then save these settings. Exit the system BIOS and boot back into Windows. The error code should be gone.

2: Stress test the video cards memory (VRam) http://www.technibbl...ry-stress-test/

Let us know the results please.

As an asides I did note a couple of separate issues highlighted by PCPitstop that you should address, once this problem is resolved we can help you with those if you like.

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
1a) No i haven't over clocked my pc,
1b) I searched my bios but the only option I found, was IRQ 4 ,5 ,7, 10, 11 enable to PCI device.
Do you know in which category that option was?(even though I think I searched most of the options)
2) Error 43 was still there, and the test didn't complete
Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
[17/11/2012 1:01:22 ìì] Test started for "Primary Display Driver ()"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 88760233)
NO PASS COMPLETED
those were the results

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Not all BIOS layouts are the same but after seeing your test results it is pointing to the card itself (the VRAM), when you cleaned the dust from the video card did you also remove the card, blow out the slot, re-seat the card securely and ensure that the supplemental power supply from the PSU to the card was connected securely.

An alternative test for the card to use for comparison http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

In case there is a bad MB setting you could try restoring the MBs factory default settings in the BIOS or clearing the CMOS by removing the MBs CR2032 battery, see attachment below;

Advertisements

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I am having that message,couldn't initialize ZoomGPU. Funmark start up failed!
I think that I did install the card correctly after cleaning it.. but i will check again..
but never mind thx a lot for your patience :D you were really helpfull !!
I'll take my video card to a friend of mine (engineer) and will inform you soon :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Good luck and yes please do let us know how you get on.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
My friend phillpower2 xD
my card is fixed!!
I used the hot air gun and heated up the place where the chip is located
for 2 or 3 minutes ... and it's done :D
tnx a lot for your help !!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello johnny15

Glad you are up and running again and thank you for the update and sharing your solution :thumbsup:

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

NB: Might be time to start saving up for a new card as a precautionary measure.

johnny15

johnny15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
haha true,
i will, and i'll make sure i ask your opinion first!
cheers :D and tnx again