Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

remote access

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi all, mr thickie here again
i have a pc, running win 7, a lappy running vista and an android phone, gingerbread 2.3.4 i think( samsung galaxy ace ( i know, but its a work phone)
i understand it is possible to get these things to talk to each other via a private wireless network, so i can share files between them...

what i'd like to know is..is this actually possible...ive seen stuff on my phone about VPN's and tunnelling protocols but have no clue what they are..
if this is possible and someone is willing to drag me through the setup process then i would be eternally in awe of your superior knowledge and general fabulousness ( is that enough creeping :lol: )
thanks for your time once again

regards
nige

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
IF they are all home, then you can share files on the home network easily enough. However, if they are not at home, then you need something else.

The android phone throws a huge wrinkle in things. pretty much its an island unto its own. Being that its a work phone, I would highly advise against rooting it. Even if you did that, vpn software doesn't work on mobile devices. At least not that I am aware of.

I think a far easier solution would be to use dropbox. Most people I know that need to share files with a mobile phone use dropbox.

http://dropbox.com

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
thanks mate...that sounds like a good plan :thumbsup:

XeonFlare

XeonFlare

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

hi all, mr thickie here again
i have a pc, running win 7, a lappy running vista and an android phone, gingerbread 2.3.4 i think( samsung galaxy ace ( i know, but its a work phone)
i understand it is possible to get these things to talk to each other via a private wireless network, so i can share files between them...

what i'd like to know is..is this actually possible...ive seen stuff on my phone about VPN's and tunnelling protocols but have no clue what they are..
if this is possible and someone is willing to drag me through the setup process then i would be eternally in awe of your superior knowledge and general fabulousness ( is that enough creeping :lol: )
thanks for your time once again

regards
nige

If it is just a matter of distributing files, I am definitely a big fan of Dropbox for this purpose; though exceptionally large files could have you back to the drawing board or paying for a subscription. If you are looking for a media solution, VNC also has some pretty good streaming options, as does MyView home server.