Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem administering a Guest account

• Please log in to reply

jerriy

jerriy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I created a guest account in my Windows 7 machine (for others to be used; I an the admin) but I have a problem controlling the account: I uninstalled an item there but it ended up being deleted from my own (admin) account as well. This is a problem, cuz I want be a real admin and control the guest account (as opposed to being a half-admin and let Microsoft and whatever other programs dictate what should and shouldn't be available in the guest account). So then how do I remove some of the programs in the guest account?

Edited by jerriy, 15 November 2012 - 11:33 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi jerriy.
The below link will enable you to get access to the hidden admin account. Take care when using it and disable when you have finished.
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/enable-disable-the-local-hidden-built-in-administrator-account-in-windows-7.aspx

>

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Just delete the icons that point to the programs from the Guest account, not the programs themselves.

jerriy

jerriy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
^ Thanks for the reply, but how's that preventing the guest from accessing the programs? (the file manager explorer or whatever it's called is still there!)

Edited by jerriy, 15 November 2012 - 07:36 PM.

jerriy

jerriy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi jerriy.
The below link will enable you to get access to the hidden admin account. Take care when using it and disable when you have finished.
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/enable-disable-the-local-hidden-built-in-administrator-account-in-windows-7.aspx

>

Are you suggesting I let the guest use this second admin account and uninstall programs from there?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
From what you originally said, it sounded like you wanted to prevent anyone using the Guest account from having access to certain programs. If not, what exactly do you want to accomplish?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Hi jerriy.
> http://social.techne...-windows-7.aspx
>

Are you suggesting I let the guest use this second admin account and uninstall programs from there?

NO. The account when enabled is for you to manage all accounts on the computer including your account. That is why i suggest when finished with any alterations, that the account be disabled as you could accidentally alter or delete your account.

"Guests have no access to files and folders of password-protected users, and are unable to install or uninstall programs, manage user accounts, or perform any administrative tasks. The account still has read and write access to Shared Folders / Public Folders, so do not keep sensitive files in these folders!Guest account is turned off by default" Source, > http://www.winhelp.u...ml#.UKXQi-R9B3A

If all account on the computer are password protected, the guest cannot see them. It may be possible to deny a guest account access to shared/public folders using Security Policies, but I am not experienced enough to give you guidance.

jerriy

jerriy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi jerriy.
> http://social.techne...-windows-7.aspx
>

NO. The account when enabled is for you to manage all accounts on the computer including your account. That is why i suggest when finished with any alterations, that the account be disabled as you could accidentally alter or delete your account.

"Guests have no access to files and folders of password-protected users, and are unable to install or uninstall programs, manage user accounts, or perform any administrative tasks. The account still has read and write access to Shared Folders / Public Folders, so do not keep sensitive files in these folders!Guest account is turned off by default" Source, > http://www.winhelp.u...ml#.UKXQi-R9B3A

If all account on the computer are password protected, the guest cannot see them. It may be possible to deny a guest account access to shared/public folders using Security Policies, but I am not experienced enough to give you guidance.

I don't get it. Why are you telling me about this hidden admin account? I already have a not so hidden account (as I said in my first post I am the admin (so it should be obvious that i already have an admin account (the one I was prompted to create during the original installation)

What I want is not YET ANOTHER admin account (hidden or not hidden) but rather use my already existing admin account to control the guest account I just activated. So unless you're implying that I CANNOT administrate the computer from my already existing admin account I don't need another admin account. What I do need is deal with this new guest account that automatically comes loaded with a set of programs that already exist on the computer before the guest account was created. Because I hate the fact that Microsoft decided for me what should and shouldn't be in this guest account. Let's say for the sake of simplicity that I only want a browser (of my choice) as an application existing in this guest account. What should I do? How do I achieve that?

Edited by jerriy, 16 November 2012 - 10:17 AM.

jerriy

jerriy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

From what you originally said, it sounded like you wanted to prevent anyone using the Guest account from having access to certain programs. If not, what exactly do you want to accomplish?

That's exactly what I want these programs (that are already in my account) to be inaccessible (by preference not visible also, but in any case totally inaccessible even via a file manager (aka windows-explorer etc) from within this new account that is "guest account" status.

Edited by jerriy, 16 November 2012 - 10:24 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Look in these folders. That is where the icons that link you to programs reside.

C:\Users\Public\Desktop
C:\Users\Default\Desktop
C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
C:\Users\Guest (anything under here)

If there are programs you don't want the Guest account using, move them to another location accessible to those accounts you do want to have access. Usually this means moving them to a similar folder in one account then copying to other accounts.

What version of Windows 7 do you have? If it's Pro or Ultimate then you may be able to use Group Policy (gpedit.msc) to restrict access. Home Premium, Starter or Basic does not have this capability.

For instance:

gpeditinfo.jpg

jerriy

jerriy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
^ But ztrucker, what's the point of all that if there is continued access to applications directly by opening the folders C:\Program Files & C:\Program Files (x86) from within the guest account?

Seems like a futile effort to me.

PS: it's home premium

Edited by jerriy, 18 November 2012 - 11:47 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Out of ideas then, unless GPEdit can restrict access to more programs.

According to MS:

What is a guest account?

A guest account is an account for users who don't have a permanent account on your computer or domain. It allows people to use your computer without having access to your personal files. People using the guest account can't install software or hardware, change settings, or create a password.

Doesn't sound like it's intended for what you want. You may be able to find a third party program that will do it, but it's not built into Windows.

jerriy

jerriy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's funny that a guest account can't install nothin' but has some ridiculous divine Microsoft right to access a program that is already on the computer.

Well, I'll see if I can find a third party program then.