Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why my monitor says "No signal detected"?

• Please log in to reply

wordproIT

wordproIT

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this :bashhead:

This morning my PSU died and I bought a new one, I plugged everything in its place and now from my monitor I get "no signal detected" :confused: I'm unable to see the BIOS display info on the screen and the windows login screen. I know everything loads up because I can type login password and hear the windows login sounds.

This is what I tried and didn't work:
1)Unplug/plug my videocard;
2)Connect the monitor in the DVI port;
3)Connect the monitor in the VGA port;
4)Replaced video cable;
5)Tested a second monitor in both ports with old and new video cable (I don't have a monitor or a tv with HDMI so I can't test that port).

This is what I tried and worked:
1)Connect the monitor with the old video cable in the VGA port of my MB integrated video card. (Not tested the DVI one on MB yet.)

I also noticed both windows and BIOS lost 2 hours in their clocks (battery problem?)
I can't test my PCIe card in another computer and I don't have another PCIe card to test in this computer :no:
------------------------------------
-My videocard is an ATI EAH5450 SILENT (pci express slot).
-Monitor is a BenQ.
-MB have an integrated video card Nvidia GeForce 7050 PV.
-Computer is 4 years old and is custom made (no brand name)

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Newer motherboard should automatically detect where your monitor is plugged but some older ones you needed to manually tell in the BIOS where you plugged your monitor. Get into your BIOS while it is plugged into your integrated video and check if you need to manually select the video source.

Also since you say it lost two hours I would suggest you change your CMOS battery, after changing it you need to get into your BIOS to set the date and time and any other options needed (video card source ect).

Your failing PSU might have shorted your battery and other components on your motherboard and hopefully your PCI-Express slot was not affected

Hope that helps

Edited by Alzeimer, 16 November 2012 - 07:25 AM.