Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Keyboard alternatives, old computer

• Please log in to reply

auntielaura

auntielaura

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am filling in for a friend as a tech at a doctor's office. The medical computer used for testing is very old and she left me a note that the keyboard does not work so we have to hand write the patient's name after the test is printed, which means all the data stored in the computer has no patient name attached to it. I tried an alternate keyboard and the problem seems to be with the connection port. They have an adapter which allows them to plug the keyboard into the serial port, but not the keyboard port. Is there any way that could ever work with a tweek to the software to recognize an alternate port? It is an old system and tech support for this company SUCKS but I will go into the code myself if someone can confirm there may be a workaround that may have been lost in an upgrade.

Or, I have been looking for an adapter so that a modern keyboard can be plugged in, but it looks like the input to the computer is a 6 pin DIN, not the more common 5 pin DIN or 6 pin miniDIN. Is that possible on an older system? And how can I find a possibly obsolete keyboard or adapter to fit?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
You might need one of those adapters similar to this to plug your keyboard to a serial port

A96FF.jpg

If you have on your old computer an old PS/1 plug you might need this to plug a PS/2 keyboard to your PS/1 port

02478a.jpg