Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Red Screen Crash During Gameplay

• Please log in to reply

Beowulf6666

Beowulf6666

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

i read other posts regarding similar issues, but none of the fixes work. I've contacted nvidia, evga and EA's tier 2 tech support for help, but none know how to fix this. It usually crashes with a black or red screen flicker and a constant sound loop after which i have to usually force a shut down. On rare occasions the card/driver recovers and i get an error.

I should state this issue only occurs while playing Battlefield 3

Issue started soon after i got close quarters (June 17) with premium...it soon made me unable to play bf3 without it crashing my rig.

Here's the info when it does recover:

" DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG : Device hung due to badly formed commands. GPU "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670" Driver 30697"

Things I've tried:

- reinstall video drivers
- clean reinstall (safe mode with full removal of old) of drivers
- fixing bf3 from origin
- checking for updates for bf3 through origin
- reverting to any older version of drivers (tried everything from 301 up, including beta)
- playing game on different settings such as: high, medium and even low (normally its all ultra)
- cleaning registry (Eusing Free Registry Cleaner)
- bought sound card (SB Recon3D) just in case it was a sound issue
- bought a new PSU (Corsair 850W Gold) just in case it was a damaged PSU and causing power fluctuations
- completely uninstalled Battlefield 3 cleaned registry and reinstalled it
- did the same issue on my 580 GTX...so i went out and got the current video card thinking it may fix it
- tried raising the voltages on the factory OC card through Precision X
- set paging file size to 24 GB (even though i have 16 GB of trip chan ram...just in case)
- tried under-clocking my video card to the vanilla 670 settings

some other info that might help you obtained from a dump file which sometimes gets created:

bug check code: 0x00000116
param 1: fffffa80`148da4e0
param 2: fffff880`0ff791a4
param 3: ffffffff`c000009a
param 4: 00000000`00000004
caused by driver: dxgkrnl.sys
caused by address: dxgkrnl.sys+5d000
crash address: ntoskrnl.exe+7f1c0

I have to say this is a...BRAND NEW (about 4 weeks old) video card...Its the superclocked version at 4 GB of ram.

My system specs are:

Intel i7 980 @ 3.36
16 GB of Triple Channel ram @ 1600
GTX 670 superclocked @ 4gb
win 7 ult x64 sp1
asus rampage formula 3 mobo
sound blaster recon 3D
current driver installed 306.97
latest bios updates on mobo
directx 11

I play numerous other games (all settings maxed out) such as: Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, Spec Ops The Line, Mass Effect 3, Prototype 2, Borderlands 2, etc. and none have ever caused this issue.

if you should need any other info regarding this that would help you help me, i'm more than willing to provide it or follow any instructions.

thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• error msg.jpg

Attached Files

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: Beowulf6666

See if running dxdiag reports any issues;

Go to Start then click on the text box that says "search for programs and files"
Type in dxdiag
Right click on the dxdiag icon
Click on "Run as Administrator" (not always presented as an option)
When dxdiag starts it will automatically check DirectX for any problems.
If it does find problems it will notify you.

Please also see the tutorial provided courtesy of starjax @ http://www.geekstogo...ising-dlls-ect/

Quick question, I note that you have 16GB of Ram in a MB that is dual and triple channel capable, are you using 4X4GB sticks in the following configuration;

4 DIMM: Supports four (4) modules inserted into the orange slots (A1, B1 and C1) and the black slot A2 as one set of Triple-channel memory configuration

Beowulf6666

Beowulf6666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Dxdiag reported no issues...check original post attachment.

As for the memory, right now im running X.M.P. mode at 1600 MHz with slots 1 ,4 , 2 , 3 , occupied.
I should point out i mentioned i was able to play like this for 10 months before the issues started. (without making ANY hardware changes).

Once the problem started, i have replaced the video card thinking initially it is the cause of this. Next logical step was to replace the PSU, again to no avail.

ALSO...i have read that the red screen crash indicates a different type of crash as opposed to the black.
It appears nvidia has the crashes colour coded instead of numeric. As such...i should probably report that i tried to underclock the card...from the vanilla settings to a NEGATIVE 52 MHz decrease in Core Clock in order to try to reduce the factory OC state.

I have only succeeded in getting a new coloured crash; this time white.

Im scouring the net trying to figure out what the white one means.

Please help.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
sounds like you've done a lot of troubleshooting already. question, what do you have for a monitor? possible solution here: http://www.tomshardw...33-screen-death

some additional info I found here (check post 7)
http://forums.majorg...ad.php?t=261912

Beowulf6666

Beowulf6666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks...but neither of those apply to me.

as you can see in my troubleshooting description...i have replaced the psu and videocard...just in case it was either of those...
also ran a complete hardware check with my geek squad software and other 3rd party stuff...no issues found..

the problem is on a settings level and/or software...

evga is colour coding all their error codes...im having a hard time finding out what they are though...

since i initially had a red screen crash with the card at its standard untouched settings....and after i UNDERclocked it by -52 im getting white screen crashes...there is an obvious relationship between the core clock of the card and the game itself...

dont know why any game manufacturer would do something like this...but here we have it...

so yeah..

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well you could try either downgrading your video drivers to an earlier version or you could go the latest beta.

Beowulf6666

Beowulf6666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
again...please refer to my list of troubleshooting steps already attempted

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Are you running any kind of diagnostic programs. I suspect that you are since you said you "de-tuned" your video card.

AIDA64, Speed Fan, GPU-Z and Riva Tune are some examples.

http://videocardz.co...-of-death-issue

Beowulf6666

Beowulf6666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
using evga precision x

i tired uninstalling it...to make sure its not the cause... (even though i was playing for over a year with it)

same results