Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire one D255E - Bios?

• Please log in to reply

Satnav1

Satnav1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So i am currently using an Acer Aspire One D255E. I was noticing some issues with CPU usage, so i tried a fix as i do with all of the systems i used.

I started the computer, and accessed the BIOS.

But here is the issue, the place i am looking for on the menu (Advanced) Isn't there! I've been looking around for fixes to this issue but could not find any that didnt involve flashing/modifying my bios.

Any way i can get to the Advanced tab in the BIOS without using any modification programs?

Current specs:
Intel Atom N450 (1.66 GHz, 512KB Cache)
1 GB of installed RAM
160 GB HDD

Bios:
InsydeH20 Revision 3.5 (Thats about all i know about it)

Thanks for the help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: Satnav1

Couple of questions for you if I may;
Have you made a back - up disk.
What keys have you used to get into the BIOS.
What do you mean by "issues with CPU usage".

If you have made a back - up disk and you want to restore the default factory settings you could use the systems Recovery Manager by clicking ALT+F10 and then entering the security code 000000 (six zeros).

Please ensure that you have a suitable back - up disk before restoring the factory defaults.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Satnav1

Satnav1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello phill, thanks for taking interest.

Yes, I can get into the Bios. The issue is, when im there, there is no "Advanced" Tab for me to access the advanced options of the bios, so i can adjust CPU speed, and such.

My goal is not to reset to factory default, this netbook was wiped a few days prior.

What i mean by "An issue with CPU Usage" Is that, no matter how many idle/dead processes/services i stop, the CPU wont handle a very simple task without nearly crashing the whole computer. Simple tasks such as starting notepad, which is mostly why i have this machine.

My main goal is to bump up the CPU speed to see if it fixes it, however, because of a lack of the Advanced tab in the Bios, there is no way i can do said speed up, unless i flashed the BIOS, which is a last resort for me.

Any way for me to unlock the bios without flashing it possibly? Thanks!

Update: I use the F2 key to get into the bios.

Edited by Satnav1, 17 November 2012 - 11:39 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Satnav1

Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

When you say it "wont handle a very simple task without nearly crashing the whole computer." what are the symptoms as in does the system freeze for example.

How are you checking the CPU usage, is it in the task manager.

Below are the instructions that I have copy/paste from the user manual but please be aware that 1: The CPU may be locked in the BIOS and so no CPU settings can be adjusted and 2: The problems that you are having may not be CPU related and are in fact caused by something else such as the Ram or HDD.

Navigating the BIOS Utility;

There are six menu options: Information, Main, Advanced, Security, Boot, and Exit.
Follow these instructions:
• To choose a menu, use the left and right arrow keys.
• To choose an item, use the up and down arrow keys.
• To change the value of a parameter, press F5 or F6.
• A plus sign (+) indicates the item has sub-items. Press Enter to expand this item.
• Press Esc while you are in any of the menu options to go to the Exit menu.
• In any menu, you can load default settings by pressing F9. You can also press F10 to save any
changes made and exit the BIOS Setup Utility.
NOTE: You can change the value of a parameter if it is enclosed in square brackets. Navigation keys for a
particular menu are shown on the bottom of the screen. Help for parameters are found in the Item
Specific Help part of the screen. Read this carefully when making changes to parameter.
Please note that system information is subject to different models.

User guide http://tim.id.au/lap.../aspire one.pdf (please note that it may take a while to download)

In effect what you are asking is how to overclock the CPU so if the directions above do not allow you to do this then it does suggest that the CPU settings are locked out as a precaution, if you are able to tweak the CPU but the issue remains I would restore the default settings as described in the user manual.

FWIW, Changing the default settings will most likely make the system more unstable and possibly inoperable so please be careful.

Satnav1

Satnav1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I just re wiped the system yesterday, and its having the same issues. The RAM being taken up is only 500 mb, give or take 50-60. But when i try to open a program, the computer goes on the fritz. the RAM Stays at the same rate, but the cpu is through the roof. My friend has the exact same model as mine, and had the exact same issue, but when he set his MHz a bit higher, the issue was cleared up immedietly.
My issue is that there is no advanced tab when navigating the BIOS.

The whole system tends to freeze, then jump around, quickly freezing and un-freezing.

Yes, i use task manager to check my CPU and RAM status.

I could try De-fragmenting it, but i'm not 100% thats the issue.

Ill check back after de-fragmentation.

Thanks for updating!

Edited by Satnav1, 18 November 2012 - 03:16 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Can I ask what OS you have installed.
Did your friend also have problems getting into the Advanced options.

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Satnav1

Satnav1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for updating.

Unfortunatly the computer is busted as we speak. As soon as i went to start a disk defrag it froze, and turned off.

I tried to turn it back on with no result. i tried charging it, tried removing the battery and re inserting it, i brought it to a shop, everything. so i just retired it and moved on. thanks for updating though!

Lets hope i dont run into an issue like this again :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the update Satnav1 :thumbsup:

I am sorry to hear that the notebook has expired :(

Let us know if we can help with anything further.

Cleopatrice

Cleopatrice

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys I was reading the posts and I am having the exact same problem with my acer d255e. My computer can't handle simple tasks such as notepad and even task manager freezes up. The start menu is the same. I don't know anything about computers so I can't say how much ram is being used. I can't even use a screen shot because I'm using my phone researching this issue