Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 Laptop boots into black screen ( cannot normal boot or safe

• Please log in to reply

meshmaster

meshmaster

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Computer Model : Xps M1330, 2gb ram etc

Problem: Computer does not boot properly, it start with the dell post and continues with the loading screen , and ends with a black screen that doesn’t show anything at all.
I removed the HDD, and tried to access it as an external drive. At first I could not access the hdd due to permission (message was “access is denied”).
After adjusting the permissions in the security tab, I could access the files ( I tried a chkdsk this way also, but no errors were found) . This did not solve the boot problem.

Having installed windows 8 pro via usb, I used the usb to boot into a form of boot manager and started cmd.
With this I used chkdsk c: /f /r but no errors were found. I then tried to fix the boot via bootrec.
The first time I used scannow, and rebuildbcd, and 0 windows installations were found. I then tried to rebuild the bcd by renaming bcd to bcd.old and then use rebuildbcd. This time it located a single windows installation and asked whether it should be added to the boot file (or something like that). After saying ‘y’ or ‘yes’, it said that it was successful. After a quick restart, it still ended with a black screen.

Can anyone help or advice with this problem?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you tried running Startup Repair from the flash drive, up to 3 times?

Also, try selecting Last know good configuration that worked from the Advanced Boot Options menu.

meshmaster

meshmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Have you tried running Startup Repair from the flash drive, up to 3 times?

Also, try selecting Last know good configuration that worked from the Advanced Boot Options menu.

I did try Startup Reair ( or automatic repair ) multiple times, all it said was "diagnosing your pc" and ultimately could'nt repair the pc.

Where is the "last known good configuration" option? I can't see it in the new windows 8 boot options area.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I forgot about that. Safe Mode is no longer available in Windows 8 unless you do this:

How to Add "Safe Mode" to Windows Boot Manager in Windows 8

In your case, I'd suggest doing a Refresh of Windows 8, see here: How to Refresh Windows 8

meshmaster

meshmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I forgot about that. Safe Mode is no longer available in Windows 8 unless you do this:

How to Add "Safe Mode" to Windows Boot Manager in Windows 8

In your case, I'd suggest doing a Refresh of Windows 8, see here: How to Refresh Windows 8

When I try Safebooting , it goes to a black screen as well. As for the refresh option, I was unwilling to do it because some installed apps ( life firefox) has my personal settings etc. Looks like I don't have a choice here, but I have to wait until later due to what happened below.

I just Tried my computers ( dell ) preboot system assessment and came with a error 2000-0146 ( which would signify that either the HDD is failing, there is a bad boot sector or that the bios is messed up). The end message was "no diagnostic utility partition identified". I was thinking of getting an external drive, and then create an image of my hdd in it. I Hope all goes well. With that being said, do you have a recommendation on a good image creator?

Sorry for the last minute edit, but the chkdsk ( on usb and recovery ) gave no errors. Does this mean anything for the hdd?

Edited by meshmaster, 16 November 2012 - 10:07 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
A good, free backup program is Macrium Reflect Free.

I'm surprised chkdsk did not report a problem.

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

meshmaster

meshmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

A good, free backup program is Macrium Reflect Free.

I'm surprised chkdsk did not report a problem.

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

Took some time, but I managed to boot 'ultimate boot cd ' from a usb and ran es-tools for the samsung HDD. It had found no problems with my HDD. I also ran chkdsk c: /f /r again, and found no errors.

Getting an HDD in a couple of days online, so thanks for the suggestions on the image creator.

meshmaster

meshmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
After sifting through several forums ( regarding black screens and whatnot), I remembered that before this problem occured, I did a chkdsk ( just a normal test). It found and deleted security descriptors, I didn't think much of it then, so I left it alone until the next day. If so, this could explain the permissions problem that I had seen when I connected it as an external drive.

Does anyone know how one can regain the permissions on the hdd?

Edited by meshmaster, 20 November 2012 - 03:19 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Give Windows Repair (All In One) from Tweaking.com a try.

How to repair many areas of Vista and Windows 7 automatically, Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7 & 8 (32 & 64 Bit)

On the Start repairs tab, click the Unselect All button then check only the Reset File Permissions checkbox, then click Start.

Do work through steps 1 - 4 first, especially the Registry backup and System Restore point creating before doing this.

meshmaster

meshmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Give Windows Repair (All In One) from Tweaking.com a try.

How to repair many areas of Vista and Windows 7 automatically, Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7 & 8 (32 & 64 Bit)

On the Start repairs tab, click the Unselect All button then check only the Reset File Permissions checkbox, then click Start.

Do work through steps 1 - 4 first, especially the Registry backup and System Restore point creating before doing this.

The 'Reset permissions' sounds like the ideal answer to this problem of mine. Only problem is that I don' know how to launch this on boot via usb or select an external HDD via from another computer. Is it just limited to the computer it's on ?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Rats, I forgot you can't boot normally or to Safe Mode. Yes, as far as I know it has to be run from the computer being repaired, sorry.

All I can suggest is to reinstall Windows 8. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.

You can back up your data by accessing the hard drive as an external device again, as you did before.

meshmaster

meshmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Rats, I forgot you can't boot normally or to Safe Mode. Yes, as far as I know it has to be run from the computer being repaired, sorry.

All I can suggest is to reinstall Windows 8. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.

You can back up your data by accessing the hard drive as an external device again, as you did before.

Oh well, that's too bad. That felt like the solution I needed.

With that being said, I came across the following link: Reset Permissions in Windows 7

I was wondering how effective this would be.

Edit: Made the URL above into a link so it's easier to follow Z

Edited by Ztruker, 21 November 2012 - 09:48 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Same problem, you need to be booted to run icacls. I don't think you can run this from a Command Prompt from a booted DVD or flash drive.

You could try it though. Just do as the post suggests.

Follow the directions here on how to get to a Command Prompt then do as suggested in the link you provided only with the following change since icacls.exe is in the C:\Windows\system32 folder on Vista, Win 7 and Win 8.

cd /D C:\Windows\system32
icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET

Again, no idea if this will work or not but worth a try as the next choice is to reinstall windows as I mentioned before.

meshmaster

meshmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Same problem, you need to be booted to run icacls. I don't think you can run this from a Command Prompt from a booted DVD or flash drive.

You could try it though. Just do as the post suggests.

Follow the directions here on how to get to a Command Prompt then do as suggested in the link you provided only with the following change since icacls.exe is in the C:\Windows\system32 folder on Vista, Win 7 and Win 8.

cd /D C:\Windows\system32
icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET

Again, no idea if this will work or not but worth a try as the next choice is to reinstall windows as I mentioned before.

I chose to use x: c: to move to directory c so that the reset works on all folders.
While it was resetting the files, it could not process 362 files ( I think it's because icalcs does not work with names over 260 characters long).
Either way it worked and I managed to boot into windows.

With that being said, is it recommended that I download Windows Repair (All In One) and try resetting permissions again? ( not sure if it uses icacls).

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If it's working, leave it. If you have additional problems, then run WR-AIO.

Make sure you create a System Restore point now, with a working system.

Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings, System Protection tab.
Click on Create.