Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External Hard Drive Connects/Reconnects Non-Stop

• Please log in to reply

OGxquisite

OGxquisite

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
When I first plug in the hard drive it says installing driver and then it starts connecting/disconnection non stop alone all you can hear is the little sound it makes when you connect it and disconnect it.
I can't even format it because it keeps doing that and it doesn't show up on My Computer. Does this mean that the hard drive is toast or is there something I can do to fix it.

I have attached to pictures the one named usb_storage is the one that shows when its connected but its only there for about 5 seconds and then the no_storage picture shows what happens after 5 second. It keeps doing that over and over again.

Attached Thumbnails

• usb_storage.PNG
  • no_storage.PNG

Edited by OGxquisite, 16 November 2012 - 11:20 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
can you give us the make/model of the drive? same for your computer? have you tried other USB ports? other USB cables?

OGxquisite

OGxquisite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Will do as soon as I get home..

Edited by OGxquisite, 18 November 2012 - 12:39 AM.

OGxquisite

OGxquisite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Alright here is a picture of the Hard Drive I have it in a external enclosure..
and yes i have tried different usb ports and also different computers.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0027.JPG.jpg

Edited by OGxquisite, 17 November 2012 - 07:52 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
what's the make/model of the enclosure.

OGxquisite

OGxquisite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It's a azio

OGxquisite

OGxquisite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
But I have tried it without the enclosure

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
wait what now? you've mounted the drive internally and it does the same thing?

OGxquisite

OGxquisite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
oh not internally but I have one of those IDE/SATA connectors that lets me connect the hard drive via usb.. it does the exact same thing.. im not sure what happened...

i use to have my movies in thise HDD and use to plug it in to my samsung tv which would let me play the movies off of the HDD.. all of a sudden the TV stopped reading the drive it just wouldnt show up on the screen anymore thats when i tried it on my computer and laptop and nothing.. all it does is what i explained above.. do you think it probably fried.. would it still say installing driver if it was fried..

if you dont think i can do anything to fix it its fine i would just let it go but it would be nice if i can get it work again..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
sorry for the delayed response. based on the description it's probably the drive that's broken not any of the USB connections. if the onboard controller on the drive is failing it would do what you're describing. it's probably toasted

OGxquisite

OGxquisite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeah I was assuming it was done thanks for your response.