Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Make a new patition

• Please log in to reply

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello,

Can I make a new patition on my computer when Windows is already installed? The reason I ask this is because I do a lot for school and want protect that data with a password. :-)

Thank you,

Edited by Quote, 16 November 2012 - 12:45 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If there is free space on the disk then you can.

If there is no free space on the disk, but there is free space on the partition (enough that you can reduce it and not have a problem), then you can backup your data and the resize the partition. There are various programs which can do this, some cost money, some are free (such as Knoppix LiveCD and qtpartd). You would reduce the size of the partition and then you can create a new partition. It is important to backup the data since something things can go wrong (you should always backup your data as well, but that is a different story).

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello,

There is free space. Can I run this program when I run it from my desktop or..?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
In the case of qtpartd on the Knoppix LiveCD, you would need to boot the Knoppix disk and then open a command window, run the command "su" to become "root", then type in qtpartd.

To resize the partition, you can not be actively using it.

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

In the case of qtpartd on the Knoppix LiveCD, you would need to boot the Knoppix disk and then open a command window, run the command "su" to become "root", then type in qtpartd.

To resize the partition, you can not be actively using it.

Best way is a clean installation?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts

Best way is a clean installation?

A clean install isn't needed you can use a boot CD/USB like Kemasa posted or you can download and install EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition its a very good free tool for home use, to work with hard disk partitions.
EaseUs is simple to use and can resize the System partition because the program will do this by booting windows on a "special mode".

Edited by SleepyDude, 16 November 2012 - 03:05 PM.