Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I run a Windows 7 64-bit SP1 OS, and Microsoft Office 2010.
When Windows Patch Tuesday runs updates for Microsoft Office 32-bit Editions, do I need to download them or can I ignore them?
Thank you for any feedback.

Advertisements

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello tommyboy819,

Are you running a 32 bits version of Microsoft Office? If yes, then you need to install the updates. If no, I am not sure if you can ignore it.

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Honestly, I don't know how many bit version of office I'm running.

How do I find out?

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi,

You can press Wintoets+P, then you can see it.

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

What does this mean.

I don't understand it.

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

What does this mean.

I don't understand it.

When you press that, you can see what you system is, 32 or 64 bits. But try to install the updates and see what happen.

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I found I have 32-bit and installed the updates.

Thanks for your help.

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
You're welcome!

blindhelpfultech

blindhelpfultech

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Honestly, I don't know how many bit version of office I'm running.

How do I find out?

First off you should always install windows updates and office updates as new problems arise and that is why they create the pachs in the first place. Second off youre opening the door to malware if you do not keep your system up to date. Although it might take a bit of time, trust me it is much less then removing malware or reinstalling windows and losing al your data.

According to Microsoft there are three types of updates when it comes to windows updating:
Optional - Updates marked with this are not required, but if you notice problems with programs or anything and there is an optional update use that to see if it fixes your problem.

Critical - These are the updates that fix service pack problems and many other things that have been reported. These updates should not be left to the user to install. Do to the fact of forgeting to install some of these can make your system open to hackers and other problems. These updates might be refered to someone who is technical as the "Important updates"

Although Microsoft considers the Important and critical updates depending on a set of standers they use, to a technical person telling a genral user to install updates they are refering to everything besides the optional updates, unless you need them to address a problem you notice.

If you have Outlook installed, make sure to install the optional junk mail filters as this wil help protect your computer as well.

If your computer is not set to auto update, do the following:
Windows 7 and Windows Vista

Make sure that you are connected to the Internet
Click on your start menu, select All Programs and then choose Windows Update
On the left, click Check for Updates to see if your computer needs updates.
To setup automatic updates, on the left click Change Settings and then choose the recommended option and set when you want your computer to download and install new updates. Note: this is the best and safest option
Then clickOK at the bottom

Windows XP

Make sure that you are connected to the Internet
Click your start menu and then click programs (or All Programs) and click on Windows Updates at the top of the list
When the page loads, choose Express and the computer will check for available updates and install them automatically.
If you would like to see what updates are available, you can also choose Custom and it will allow you to pick and choose which updates to install. We highly recommend that you install all critical updates.

Last but not least finding out what bit type of office you have, you really have no need to be consirned about what version of office you are running, Microsoft's update date center does that for you. but the bit type of office cororlates to the bit type of the system, unless it is a business computer then they have bought Mark or mass activation keys for one bit type of ofice and that is offten 32 bit or x86 they are the same thing. 32-bit virsions of most programs can be run on a 64 bit system. That is a whole other thing to explain.

Find the bit type of your computer system and you will know what bit type of office you are running and what bit type you need to buy when getting computer [programs for your system. Click start or the windows key
Right click on computer
Click Properties
It will say what bit system you are running and that is your office version as well.

Note If I say click, that means left click unless unless otherwise noted
Blindhelpfultech, Geek U Student
Running Linux, Untill I reinstall windows when time is there.
Don't PM me asking for support post in the fourms
We all can find time to learn, do we really want to learn something or just get it hand feed to us is what we should be asking ourseves.
Learning new things and helping others never getts old
Having a willinness to learn something from someone in part and pick up from there and learn the rest and then ask gets you a long way in life. That's when people start to put their time into teaching you everything they know in hopes, you will go learn more on your own,
A degree says nothing compaird to self teaching, but jobs look for the degree

Edited by blindhelpfultech, 17 November 2012 - 01:05 PM.

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
many thanks for your expertise and advice.