Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking of changing a few components...

• Please log in to reply

g_raham

g_raham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Fantastic :tazz:

Yeah i've just tested the links too. They don't seem to work at the mo, hopefully the website will be up and running again soon.

Thanks for your help audioboy

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi g raham

Hi I had a look at your everest report and your cpu usage at the time of the report was 100% this would explain the cpu temp also at the time of the report at 61c

Were you aware of the cpu usage being that high?

Before I answer your questions and make recomendations I need to know if the programs that are running that make the cpu run at 100% are always going to be running.

Rick

g_raham

g_raham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hello, when i ran the everest report i didn't have any programs running... i deliberately shut everything down because that would give me a more accurate report :S ... if i enter windows task manager now (currently running, outlook yahoo messenger and internet explorer) the cpu usage in the 'performance' tab is low, just fluctuating once in a while. However in the 'processes' tab I have 'system idle process' with cpu=90 but that keep jumping about, it keeps making it up to 100, say i had another program at 33, the idle will go to 67.... is this normal?

I'm sorry if this is completely unrelating and i'm throwing more problems into the situation but i thought it might be related.

Thank you

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes the "system idle process" is normal
I don't no why Everest reportrd your cpu at 100% guess it just misread

I looked at your screen shot of speed fan and it showed cpu usage of 1.5% thats idle when the temp of 60C was taken so yes you do have a temp problem that needs to be taken care of. The idle temp should be 40 to 42C or lower

Heres the thing, you mentioned that the computer has no problems so its stable and the sensors that read these temps are alot of times inaccurate and they usually read high sometimes by as much as 10 or 15C so that 60C could be 45C witch is acceptable.

Do this test to get a idea if the sensor is accurate or not, after the computer has been at idle for 15 minutes or so very carefully touch the base of the heat sink

40c to 49c = comfortably warm
50c to 55c = warm near hot have to pull away after 2 or 3 seconds
55c to 65c = hot need to pull away after 1 second
65c and above = burnt fingers

Report what you find back

You could also use a themometer and touch its probe to the base of the hs

There is no reason the stock AMD hsf (hearsink fan) won't properly cool you system if its running at stock speeds but if you want to oc (overclock) as you mentioned then you would need a better hsf and some artic silver5

Lets see if the temp reading is accurate and get it down before getting into why the system is slow to load programs because heat could contribute to this.

Rick

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
doby, he mentioned that he had put the cpu and hsf in the fridge. any chance this caused an air pocket?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Thanks audioboy I don't know how but I missed that.

Heating it up with a hair dryer and putting it in the fridge is not a accepted method and not sure what it would do but my guess is it could create a air pocket.

Remove the hs and scrap the old themel pad off the cpu and hs with a piece of credit card the use rubbing alcohol to remove the remainder.

Apply new thermal paste perferably artic silver 5 according to the instructions on thier website.

The only reason I didn't recommend doing so in the first place is because the computer was stable but that may not be the case.

After doing the above report back the temps and see if the computer runns better.

Rick

g_raham

g_raham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thank you got your replies.

OK i will get some 'Arctic Silver 5 Premium 3.5g Tube'... But i'm going to have to wait for it to be delivered.

I know that you said you will deal with the slowness of my pc later but i'm thinking i may aswell get the 1gb of RAM while i'm at it so i won't have to pay twice and wait longer for both items. I've had a look around and i'm thinking of getting Corsair '2x512mb Ddr400 Match Twinx1024-3200c2pt ' can you approve?

Thank you

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes that good ram but if its value select you may want to consider corsairs XMS series if you plan to overclock. The value select will take small OC as long as you don't want to go to extremes.

Watch the cas latency to don't get 4 or 3 get 2.5

g_raham

g_raham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Yeah i've just been on the Corsair website and it says it's 2-3-3-6 so i just went for it...

TWINX1024-3200C2PT
XMS3200 1024MB 2-3-3-6* 2x184 DIMM Platinum

I also ordered some CPU and heatsink cleaner and the artic 5. Hopefully get it tomorrow or early next week.

I'll get back to you when i have the parts. Thanks

g_raham

g_raham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Got problems :s....

Firstly i'm still waiting for two arctic silver solutions to clean my cpu and heatsink so i've yet to sort the temperature problem out.

However i did get the RAM. Got two sticks of corsairs RAM, intotal 1gb. SO when i got them i checked them over to make sure they were the ones i ordered (Corsair 2x512mb Ddr400 Match Twinx1024-3200c2pt) label on the package says it is, the two stickers on the ram itself says it is. So they got installed and i ran Everest (see report attached) For each stick of RAM the report showed the model number to be Corsair CMX512-3200C2 which is wrong because it should be Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT the timings on the RAM came out to be...

Memory Timings:
@ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

which is also wrong because it should be 2.5-3-3-6 so i ran cpu-z just to check (see attachment) and that also told me that the model number was Corsair CMX512-3200C2 which is incorrect... what's going on? Has there been a mix up? I bought it from a respectable online store and the packaging and the stickers on it are perfect no tampering... is there another program to check memory latency just to be sure? I tried cpu-z latency but didn't really understand it.

Let me know what you's think, if i need to return the product i need to do it pretty soon.

Thanks all

Attached Thumbnails

• cpuz.jpg

Attached Files

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The programs read what timings and speed the ram is curently running at that why everest is reporting it incorrectly so go into your bios the ram speed and timing should each be set to "spd" this will let the bios read the ram and set it up accordingly. However some times this don't work perffectly so you manually have to set the timmings or speed so if it is set to spd then set the timmings manually to what there suppose to run at.

Rick

g_raham

g_raham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thank you for your reply again :tazz:

Ok so i went into BIOS then into 'Advanced Chipset Features'

Got five categories:

System Performance: Normal
FSB Frequency: 200Mhz
x Memory Frequency: By SpD
Resulting Freuqency: 400Mhz
AGP Frequency: Normal

That's what came up without me changing anything in bios. The Memory Frequency had a little 'x' to the side of it, and it will not allow me to change the memory frequency or either the resulting frequency.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I just downloaded your manual it isn't clear on the settings and I am unfamilar with your board/bios but I do know you don't need to change the frequency that is correct its the timmings that are not what the lable on the ram states it can run at . The manual does say to "change system performance" to "manual" to allow full customization of performance options but without actually doing it I don't know.

g_raham

g_raham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Whoopie hahahaha i cleaned the cpu and heatsink with articlean 1 and 2 and used arctic silver 5 compound. The temp from speedfan is now 44C while i'm typing this. Hopefully i will see it drop a few more degrees over the next 2-3 weeks.

As for the 'slow' RAM i will change the system performance to 'manual' and see how far i get, if i get lost i will post to see if anyone can help.

Thanks alot, everyone.

another small question on the side.... when i load my computer not all the icons in the systems startup come up. As in all the little icons in the bottom right hand screen. I have used 'msconfig' to prevent some programs from running but should this effect others from loading? Thanks

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

another small question on the side.... when i load my computer not all the icons in the systems startup come up. As in all the little icons in the bottom right hand screen. I have used 'msconfig' to prevent some programs from running but should this effect others from loading?

Thats ok just don't shut off anything important like your virus scan or firer wall

Rick