Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot read from source file or disk

• Please log in to reply

JessicaB

JessicaB

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Geeks to go,
I have been experiencing this problem for more than a year now and everything I've tried does not work.
I have an Acer Aspire 5551 laptop running Windows 7 Home Basic. I think it's about 5 years old now. I cannot copy ANY files (really, none at all) from my laptop to my external hard drive (Prestige Desktop Hard Drive Hi-Speed USB 2.0). I used to be able to, but then one day it decided to reject them, giving me the "Cannot read from source file or disk" message. Now today I tried to copy one .avi file of 349 MB from my laptop to the external and it actually worked, so I tried to copy another .avi file of the same size but then it just gave me that message again.
I can still copy files from my external to my laptop and I used to be able to copy files to the external with other computers and laptops but now it won't work on any of them either.
I would really appreciate the help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome: JessicaB

Not being familiar with your particular device I did a google search for research purposes and from what I found I can tell you that yours is not an uncommon problem in fact quite the opposite, one source http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822186132 see the feedback tab.

Let us know if there is data on the drive that you would like to try and secure first of all.